Topic: Monterey & M1 Mac Compataibility

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post.

Has anyone had much luck with eitiher firewire or usb options on Monterey?

I have a new Mac that is far faster then previous iMac however when I go through Fireface

It spikes and runs out of CPU.

I have no idea who to turn to if its Apple or RME?

Does anyone know if we can expect something soon?

Re: Monterey & M1 Mac Compataibility

After testing it with Monterey 12.2.1 and both new RME Firewire & Usb drives. It's unuseable, cant record, glitching, computer can barely do anything. As it seems to freeze up, beach ball etc on a blank one audio track .

I researched everything but forgot to include RME drivers into my search. you live & you learn

ah so, there seems to have been a USB update for the RME device itself in 2022.

That has helped a great deal

Here's hoping!

hi Savoygravy - have you had better luck with this new driver? I was also having major issues on a new MBP 16" M1, and the latest driver unfortunately didnt solve it for me. Glitches - dropouts on recordings etc. How are you getting on? thanks!

I cant even get the F@£$in thing to install despite following the horrendous crap in the support, I am close to dumping the device and getting something that works.

BlackBlossom wrote:

Monterey is fine here with the 16 inch M1 Max Macbook, as long as you use the USB driver. The Thunderbolt driver isn't working at the lowest latency, it might be Apple breaking something but RME haven't commented on it. I'm running 32 samples on the USB driver and it seems ok. This is with the most up to date Monterey as of today.

Same for me, using UFX+ with Apple M1 Max CPU, over thunderbolt 32sample keep glitching with clicks and pops. even 64samples sometimes does that too, only 128samples is 100% safe.

7 (edited by troy 2022-04-28 07:15:43)

OK, so after talking to Apple for some time and thoroughly investigating this issue, the verdict is that the Mac Studio cannot physically support Firewire. Monterey 12.3.1 does support it, but the Mac Studio Hardware cannot and never will support Firewire.
There is a clue to this on the Apple Adapter page here. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD46 … re-adapter
As you can see under Compatibility, NO MAC STUDIO.
Based on Apple's advice, it seems that no Firewire RME Fireface unit will ever work with the new Mac Studio, because the Mac won't see Firewire.
Can anyone recommend a good Audio Interface comparable to the Fireface 400?

Ah ha! Apple were wrong.

I got it going at last.

It's all down to Bus Power.

On Audio AG Support's advice I had a look at the System Report again. There was nothing showing under Thunderbolt, however when I looked at USB, I could see the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. I then tried connecting to the Front Ports, without success. But when I reconnected to the rear Thunderbolt Port again I got a message saying that there was not enough power for the device and I should remove some other devices. (All 4 are in use).

The RME has external power, which is weird, but I disconnected my external hard-drive and suddenly the RME works.

I run three monitors, two of which are connected to the rear Thunderbolt Ports and the other HDMI. I have a small USB dock connected too.

What I have found, is that if I connect the external Hard Drive to the Front Ports on the Mac Studio, it works and does not interfere with the RME Fireface. It's a bit of pain having a wire hanging out of the front of the Mac Studio, but it will have to do.

So there it is guys. Despite what Apple say, the New Mac Studio will work with the RME Fireface 400, but don't try to run an External Hardrive off of the rear Thunderbolt Ports.

If you guys at RME need any data, just let me know and I'll send you what you need.

Thanks