Topic: ADI-2 DAC problems with IEM port

Up to now I was quite satisfied with my new ADI-2 DAC.
Today my new IEM arrived (Final B1). After a few hours of working without any problems I suddenly (without any changes or switching) I had an awful sound in my Final B1 earphones. I shortly saw a message (I think it was something like high voltage?) but now IEM port is defect (no or just noisy sound) and also my Final B1 earphones seem to be destroyed.
Seems to be a shortcut but what could be the reason? Input is only via USB and the only connection of the DAC.
Any ideas or suggestions?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-25 07:12:13)

Re: ADI-2 DAC problems with IEM port

For the moment, do not plug the IEM into ADI-2 DAC again.

Check the IEM on another source, e.g. on a smartphone.
It‘s unlikely that IEM’s left AND right side broke.
Could be a cable issue too.
If only one side is dead, reverse the cable left <> right.
Does the fault follow the cable’s side or the earpiece?

Thanks for your reply.
IEM on another source doesn't work. Can only hear some some high "tweeting" or whistling.

If I try another headphone at the IEM Port of the ADI-2 its more or less similar. Sound seems to be coming from "far away" very quietly and a lot of acoustic noise.

Everything on both sides.

Is it imaginable that the cable of the IEM is responsible for destroying the DAC?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-25 11:01:10)

paellas-zoepfe-0d wrote:

IEM on another source doesn't work. Can only hear some some high "tweeting" or whistling.

If I try another headphone at the IEM Port of the ADI-2 its more or less similar. Sound seems to be coming from "far away" very quietly and a lot of acoustic noise.

Everything on both sides.

Is it imaginable that the cable of the IEM is responsible for destroying the DAC?

That’s bad.

ADI-2 has protections against shortcut, and DC protection for the connected headphones.
These seem to have failed, so for ADI-2 I see a clear case for servicing.

I’m sorry for your brocken IEM.

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2 has protections against shortcut, and DC protection for the connected headphones.
These seem to have failed, so for ADI-2 I see a clear case for servicing.

I don't have the unit. based on online pcb images I don't think the IEM circuit has dc protections as the normal HP out does.
the short circuit protection is built into the op amp (opa1622) but when the chip fails there will be no guarantee the protection can be activated.
I assume the 1622 is powered by very low voltages, so even if it failed it shouldn't be too bad.
Maybe the IEM is just too sensitive and cannot stand that low voltage.