Topic: Windows 11 Problems

I have a problem with my DAC on Windows 11 (windows drivers). In wasapi exclusive mode only MusicBee works and switching sample rates. Other programs like Foobar, Squezelite-X do not play music properly. Foobar in exclusive mode displays Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format. Squeezelite only works in shared mode so everything is played in 44100 mode or whatever is currently set in windows. After installing the ASIO drivers, neither foobar nor MusicBee works (choping, distorted sound) and yes I tried different buffer values for different sample rates in ASIO control panel. Squeezelite-X (ASIO) after playing a file and stopping it for a while it starts playing until you change the sample rate. But only for lower sample rates like (176k) For higher sample rates above 176k this trick not working.This is a disappointing behavior because I had several DACs at home: AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, Black, Topping E30, FiiO K7 Pro and none of them had such problems. Here we have 1 DAC at the price of the others and it can't handle something as simple as automatic sample rate change and working ASIO drivers. Plus known problems with tidal and other streaming service programs. DAC has latest firmware.

2 (edited by mwilson 2022-03-08 14:36:42)

Re: Windows 11 Problems

Hello ghostek,

FWIW I am running Audirvana via ASIO into an ADI-2 Pro FS BE and have never experienced any sound issue and sample rate is switching properly as per the source material. I am using Audirvana connected to my Tidal account. Running Windows 11 Home.

Tidal doesn't support ASIO and doesn't switch sample rates on the RME using WASAPI in exclusive mode, whereas other DACs do.

I don't use audirvana but foobar and logitech media server with squeezelite. In this configuration only rme adi-2 dac has problems with such a basic thing as changing sample rate. Not to mention streaming services. I'll add that I checked rpi with installed logitech media server client (piCorePlayer) and somehow on linux everything works. For me it is a problem with drivers and dac operation on windows. If other dacs work with other programs and do not have such problems, it is a clear signal that something is wrong with the drivers. I would expect such a dac to work with all programs. I do not know what audirvana developers did to make the dac work. They may use some tricks to make the dac work properly, but for me explaining that something works with audirvana or roon, so there is no problem is not an ok approach. If chinese dacs can work with everything, then rme adi2-dac should work the same way. Putting the responsibility on software manufacturers is pointless. At the moment only adi2 has problems.

How many of the chinese DACs have ASIO drivers? If you don't need ASIO, have you tried this without the driver installed?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by ghostek 2022-03-10 11:17:06)

I am testing this on a laptop where only rme adi dac is connected. At the moment no drivers are installed or other dacs connected. Just the default driver from Windows for Rme adi dac.

In the problem with asio drivers not switching correctly the sample rate and desynchronize also I think that RME should make something with drivers. Also I do not understand why the adi2 dac on asio will change a random of times correctly and then desynchronize. I also owned at one time an chinese dac smsl sankrit that worked without problems. I already write to  qobuz and waiting in vain that they will correct the problem. I think that the solution could be implemented on the RME driver side, if the chinese with xmoss driver or how his name it is could work then why not? Maybe if to make it working correctly and reliable 100% with this type of services as qobuz will need some tricks that could impact the profesional asio side maybe to have 2 drivers...professional creation one and musical listening one?

ghostek wrote:

I have a problem with my DAC on Windows 11 (windows drivers). In wasapi exclusive mode only MusicBee works and switching sample rates. Other programs like Foobar, Squezelite-X do not play music properly. Foobar in exclusive mode displays Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format.

So you are using Windows Class Compliant drivers, not RME's. If MusicBee works but Foobar not - how can you blame RME for that? Using this forum's search function helps:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26980

You'll also find the info that you need to use WASAPI Push with Foobar (from 2019).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ghostek 2022-03-25 11:43:38)

I can blame rme for this because chinese dacs costing 1/4 the price of rme work with all programs. As I wrote before: it's possible that musicbee author used tricks, hackks to make his software work with rme. Could you please explain to me why all programs on windows work with topping e30 or with audioquest dragonfly in asio mode and on regular drivers and rme adi dac works only with musicbee?

If no driver is installed, as you said, there is no "ASIO mode" anywhere. There is no special procedure to make software "work with RME", much less if no driver is installed. Please contact the software manufacturer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Weird thing is that you should try using an optical cable (S/PDIF) and sample rate switching will just work fine. On S/PDIF the maximum bit depth is 24-bit. MusicBee I think works because you checked the option "32-bit playback", in Foobar you should do the same and change Output format to 32-bit as well (and should use WASAPI push). But most of the programs does not have an option to set bit depth and therefore my understanding is that the program want to send 16bit or 24bit out to the DAC and Windows sees the device as it is capable only to handle 32bit, and voila it does the over/undersampling process and outputs on the Windows default setting not in bit perfect.

11 (edited by ghostek 2022-03-25 19:30:33)

I don't want to use spdif. I have a dac with usb support and I want it to work properly with usb and on windows. I don't know if this is going to be clear or not, but I've tested it both with the asio drivers installed from the rme website and on clean windows, using the default drivers from windows. Another example: squezeelite does not work on windows but picoreplayer on rpi with squeezelite and dac suddenly works fine. So if adi dac works correctly on rpi with linux but does not work correctly on windows then I guess it is obvious; that something is wrong with the drivers or windows support.
I saw other threads where people had similar problems, but I have the impression that the topic is swept under the rug. Usually the answer is that if it works on one program it is not hardware fault but software. But why other dac do not have this problem?
I have contacted support but no one has replied to my email for several weeks.