Topic: Lowering heat profile for Fireface UCX II?

Is there a way to shut off ADAT devices within the Fireface interface to possibly lower the amount of heat the box is generating?

I don't ever use the ADAT ins and outs. If I could shut them off and possibly other things might that lower the overall heat profile of the unit?

I paid $1600 dollars for this awesome interface, I run it 24/7 and I fear it is slowly cooking itself to death.

I have considered a fan inside the unit but I am not sure I would like adding another noisemaker to my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Lowering heat profile for Fireface UCX II?

Fans don't have to be noisy smile

Is your UCXII rackmounted? Or just on your desk. I took a slim and quiet 80mm computer fan and hooked it up to an old 5V phone charger and even just facing one side of the UCXII with the airflow blowing across it from 6-8 inches away makes a huge difference in temperature.

Others here have added taller chassis feet to allow more air circulation underneath while some with rackmounted units have built  cooling fan panels for active cooling.

Have you measured your unit to see what temperatures it's actually generating? I find that mine gets warm, but wouldn't say it's too hot for normal operation.

-Steve

Re: Lowering heat profile for Fireface UCX II?

I have mine about 2 1/2 feet away from my microphone on my desktop, not in a case or rack mounted.

I am trying a test.

I disabled the ADAT devices in Windows device manager and disabled a couple of the inputs and outputs I don't use.

I am hoping this actually disables them inside the unit so it requires less power.

Any thoughts on this?