1 (edited by robinettl 2022-03-28 02:08:08)

Topic: Level Discrepancy Between FF 802 and ADI-8 DS

Hi,

I'm getting an approximately 8db level difference between my Fireface 802 and the ADI-8 DS connected via ADAT. I'll describe my setup and config and then a bit more about the issue.

Using ADI-8 for A/D only. A/D section connected via Toslink cable to ADAT input 1 of FF 802
ADI-8 is master, FF set to slave via ADAT1
Clocked at 48,000 khz with clear audio so no evidence of sync issues
Level of ADI-8 A/D section set to +4dBu
All line inputs of FF 802 set to +4dBu
All levels in TotalMix set to 0.0 db

Given those settings, I would expect the exact same volume from the line inputs of the FF and those of the ADI, but the ADI-8 inputs are about 8db louder than the FF line inputs. I connect my Juno 106 synth directly to a pair of inputs on the FF and peak around -20 db. Using my patchbay, I route the Juno over to the ADI-8 and peak at around -12 db, and I cannot figure out what is causing the increase. I've tried all conbinations of both balanced and unbalanced cables, all with the same 8db difference.

Any ideas?

Re: Level Discrepancy Between FF 802 and ADI-8 DS

ADI-8 FS doesn't exist. You seem to have either an ADI-8 QS or DS MK III. On these the ref levels have different meanings compared to other units, which is explained in the manual, but also directly on the front panel (@ 0 dBFS). Choose +13 dBu and they will match with the +4 dBu of the FF802.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Sorry, the "FS" in the subject was a typo which I've corrected. I own an ADI-8 DS. This is the unit I have: https://reverb.com/item/38015542-rme-ad … converter.

I should also mention I'm legally blind and using a screen reader. I cannot see the labeling on the ADI. Just using my ears, I push the level button for the A/D section and here three loudness levels. I currently have it on the loudest of these, figuring this is +4dBu. Which of the three loudness levels are you suggesting?

Thanks for your help

The old DS has the same ref level definitions as the FF802, so they should match perfectly. Did you try other input channels of the ADI-8 DS as well? When playing a 440 Hz sine style tone on the synth at a lower level (-20 dBFS reading in TM FX), does the ADI-8 react correctly to the change of the ref levels? That should be a change of +6 dB and another +9 dB (total +15 dB) when starting from the highest (most insensitive) setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME