Topic: UFX+ Expandability with Clarett?

I can't afford the RME expansion options for my UFX+ but need a few line ins and preamp ins.  And the Ferrofish doesn't have the pres I occasionally need.   

I'm considering a used Focusrite Clarett Octopre to buy me a year or two until I can get something MADI capable.

Are there any issues using the Clarett as an ADAT slave and clocking it from the RME? 

Thx!!

UFX+, Reaper, Ableton, Mac, Drummer, Modular, Norns/PiSound/Organelle....

Re: UFX+ Expandability with Clarett?

Should work just fine, ADAT isn't fussy...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2022-03-25 15:53:05)

Best get a preamp which can get clock from main RME interface, e.g. by having WC and/or ADAT inputs.
Then the application can set samplerate by ASIO driver for main RME interface and the connected preamps
can learn clock automatically (44.1 or 48 kHz).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The Clarett has word clock and 2x adat in/out so can accept sync from UFX

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thanks folks!

Any other recommendations than the Clarett for expanding a UFX+?   I need a mix of pre and line level ins.

12Mic via MADI or ADAT with 12 ports (4x Mic/Inst/Line, 8x Mic/Line inputs). AVB ready.
See also my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … XTC-DE-EN/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by GMB 2022-03-28 23:37:21)

Thx - I would love a 12Mic but it's way too expensive for me.   The UFX+ was a massive splurge as it is.  Expanding it to include 8 to 12 more channels should not cost more than the audio interface itself. 

Or maybe I should put it this way: perhaps RME could come up with some more modest options. 

Ideally:

• 4 or more line ins

• 4 or more preamp ins

• 4 or more line outs

• madi and not adat

I see a lot of RME Customers looking to expand their systems more affordably and having to consider Behringer, Tascam, Focusrite, Ferrofish, etc because these options range from $250 to $1300 us.  An option from RME that was < $1500 would be a no brainer for me.   

Many home studio folks such as myself, that mix in the box, just need a few more inputs for synths.  And occasionally I get to go to a location where I can record a live band and in that case, need a few preamp ins.   

Thx!!

8 (edited by ramses 2022-03-29 06:39:31)

I recommended the 12Mic for several reasons, because you didn't want the Clarett and didn't mention a price limit.

I thought that you perhaps might want more Mic inputs
- of the same high quality (transparent, high gain range, pad free design with high input level stability, etc), see also the technical section in the manuals and
- with the the same features (4 more instr inputs, Autoset, excellent phones output, also useable as line inputs)
as you have already with your UFX+, so that this would be a perfect match.

Also important to know that this RME product gives you features that you won't have with other products:
- high port density of 12 inputs which can also be used as line inputs and additional 4 Instr inputs
- high quality phones output
- Gain up to 75 dB for signals up to +18 dBu
- Signal-to-noise ratio >117 dB unweighted, >120 dB(A)
- 3x ADAT OUT
- MADI SFP / BNC (which gives you a higher range for placing the solution in the studio or even live)
- redundant power supply
- integrated routing matrix
- Word Clock
- Steadyclock FS (by this the ideal clock slave, A/D and D/A conversion being done with it's internal FS clock)
- remote controllable through Web browser and the new MIDI remote
- AVB readiness
- in the future (delayed by Corona): Auxdevice support like with the Octamic XTC, to be able so save/recall most important preamp settings in TM FX snapshots.

Of course you are free to take any other produt. Simply browse e.g. the Thomann or other shops, sort for price and look what device gives you the desired quality and features.

However, you will then find that you have to make a lot of compromises with the cheaper products compared to the 12Mic.
I just wanted to give you that on the way, in case you wonder why RME and why the 12Mic has it's price.

The claret seems like a good choice, I would not fuss about it to much. If the 8 channels are enough then there is no need for madi.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

The claret should be fine. The Behringer ada8200 works fine for me (mostly I use as extra outputs) so the claret should be much better. With adat it should just work. The ada8200 just worked. It’s all quite simple as well.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Some people say that the signal-to-noise ratio of the ADA8200 would not be so good, but I don't remember if that was only for the outputs or also for the inputs (sorry, just hearsay).

If you have a device of the quality of a UFX+ with really excellent mic inputs, then I would not necessarily reach for the cheapest device when expanding the microphone inputs.

It would also be important to keep the clock distribution in mind, that the recording interface can remain clock master. Then you need a preamp that has either ADAT inputs or word clock.

Then just look whether the preamp has enough gain reserves and that SNR is ok for you and that the inputs are level stable or support PAD just in case if you have to deal with high peak volumes (e.g. drums) or loud amp.

Tested by SOS magazine the ADA8200 has  roughly 100db dynamic range and distortion figure on both AD and DA, the Clarett 117db. Most devices and mics and studios are noisier then -100db, but it seems an obvious choice if you can afford it.
But in general people like the sound of the ADA8200, at least better then the older ADA8000.

Vincent, Amsterdam

If interested (I was) the scarlett range manages 108db.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Excellent replies all.   I just think it's ironic to spend so much on an interface to scrimp on an expander.   But the price and feature tradeoffs keep me thinking either a used clarett or a ADA8200. 

It might not be RME's business model, but I always think of "Penetrate and Radiate!"  Once you have a customer who loves your products, keep finding ways to provide additional value before sending them to your competition.

8 In/Out with 4 preamps and having madi instead of only ADAT, so we don't have to compromise on sample rates, would easily sell for $1200.

I was just mentioning I had the ada8200 but if you have the cash then I’d go for the Clarett or something at a similar price. Both are AD/DA and have adat in and out. Clarett has more options especially if you want the higher bitrates which the ada8200 does t support. It also has better switchable phantom power. Definitely the quality interface.