Topic: How to completely remove RME drivers on Windows?

Hello,

I've tried to uninstall RME UFX+ driver from my PC (Windows 10) through the setup panel, and re-install (what I wish would be) a fresh new driver installation but it's messed up and now, although I see ASIO Madiface as a possible interface in Reaper, I do not see any ASIO channels in the input/output lists, and the audio device remains closed...

I've seen some posts about removing RME drivers for Mac iOS, but I fail in finding the way to do that for Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any help for a clean removal of the RME UFX+ drivers, in order to install again from scratch.

Laurent

Intel i7, Windows 10, RME UFX+, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, ADI-2 FS, Ferrofish Pulsar16 MX

2 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-03-29 22:10:48)

Re: How to completely remove RME drivers on Windows?

Hi there smile

Are you having some kind of trouble with your interface? I've not found the need to uninstall any RME drivers/SW but maybe you could check Add/Remove programs section and see if there's anything that says Fireface or TotalMIX? What happens if you just try installing the drivers again without removing? I would think that should do the trick.

-Steve

***just found this from the manual for my UCXII:

13.2 De-installing the Drivers
In case of problems the driver files can be deleted manually by dragging them to the trash bin:
USB
/Applications/Fireface USB Settings
/Applications/Totalmix
/System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceUSB.kext
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.TotalmixFX.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.Fireface_USB_Settings.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceUSBAgent.plist
Under the latest Mac OS the User/Library folder is not visible in the Finder. To unhide it start
Finder, click on the menu item Go. Hold down the option (alt) key, then click on Library.

BUT...since I'm guessing you plan on keeping your UFX+ the section right before the above said there's no need to uninstall drivers when upgrading so I would assume you can just re-install over a messed up driver installation. Just a hunch though.

Hi Steve,

Thanks, but removing through the Control Panel (RME Madiface USB item) failed. This item is still here and I can't remove it anymore from the list of the programs (Exception message box when trying to remove it).

When I try to install again the driver, no channels are available in ASIO and the device remains closed :-(
Host blue LED on UFX+ front panel is on, though.

By the way, the WDM driver is still alive and works.

Laurent

Intel i7, Windows 10, RME UFX+, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, ADI-2 FS, Ferrofish Pulsar16 MX

4 (edited by ramses 2022-03-29 22:27:17)

sbcrikey wrote:

Hi there smile

Are you having some kind of trouble with your interface? I've not found the need to uninstall any RME drivers/SW but maybe you could check Add/Remove programs section and see if there's anything that says Fireface or TotalMIX? What happens if you just try installing the drivers again without removing? I would think that should do the trick.

-Steve

***just found this from the manual for my UCXII:

13.2 De-installing the Drivers
In case of problems the driver files can be deleted manually by dragging them to the trash bin:
USB
/Applications/Fireface USB Settings
/Applications/Totalmix
/System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceUSB.kext
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.TotalmixFX.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.Fireface_USB_Settings.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceUSBAgent.plist
Under the latest Mac OS the User/Library folder is not visible in the Finder. To unhide it start
Finder, click on the menu item Go. Hold down the option (alt) key, then click on Library.

BUT...since I'm guessing you plan on keeping your UFX+ the section right before the above said there's no need to uninstall drivers when upgrading so I would assume you can just re-install over a messed up driver installation. Just a hunch though.

@sbcrikey: These are Apple related paths ..

@lolo1988: you have a manual, so use it.
According to manual a deinstallation of drivers is not required.
You can re-install the same or newer versions at any time, this installs drivers, TM FX binary and autostart entries.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

@lolo1988: you have a manual, so use it.
According to manual a deinstallation of drivers is not required.
You can re-install the same or newer versions at any time, this installs drivers, TM FX binary and autostart entries.

Thanks Ramses,
Yeah, I know what's inside the manual. At first, I start re-installing the RME driver over the previous one (without uninstalling anything) in order to fix a strange behaviour in Reaper (which may or may not be due to the interface though).
As it failed to fix this issue, I tried to remove the RME Madiface USB entry in the Install/uninstall management of the Windows Control Panel.
I thought it would be a good idea to shut down the computer and start again to (sort of) finalize the process.
When shuting down, the computer crashed (BSOD), but started up normally.
And since then, I can't see the ASIO channels of the UFX+ and the ASIO audio device remains closed in my DAWs (Reaper and Studio One), even if I install over again the Madiface driver (the driver seems to install without issue, no warning box, etc.) 
Removing from Control Panel is not possible anymore (warning message box)
Totalmix and Madiface settings apps are still there though. WDM driver works.
Host blue LED in UFX+ front panel is lit. Tried to swap between the USB ports : same thing.

So, at that point, as I can't simply install the Madiface driver nor remove it through the Control Panel, I just want to know if there's a way to "manually" remove all the RME driver's stuff in order to start again a brand new driver installation.

If there's no way to do that on a PC, well, fair enough, I'll be on my way to reinstall Windows to clean up everything... :-(

Regards,
Laurent

Have you tried booting in safe mode to remove the driver?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Did you try to go into the Device Manager, then remove the UFX+ in there, checking the box 'including software'? Then remove the UFX+ from USB, reboot, install the driver, THEN connect the UFX+ and reboot again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Daniel, but safe mode didn't help.

Thanks Matthias,
But in the meantime, I've found that a Windows restoration point was created a few days before I get my UFX+.
So I thought that it would fix it all.

Oh myyyy... Not UFX-related I guess, but the restoration failed, Windows couldn't boot and couldn't repair itself anymore, and I can't even reinstall Windows on the system disk/partition where it was previously installed.
Unbelievable.

Anyway, thanks for your support.
"If the computer goes, the issue goes"...

Laurent

Hi! I'm having the exact same trouble here. Today my RME UFX was not recognized anymore by any DAW. It happened after I uninstalled C++2015/2019 because of another program. I tried reinstalling drivers, with no success. Then I tried to completely remove the UFX, to find that even when I have uninstalled EVERY RME related software, the tray icons still show up. My computer runs Windows 10 and the interface has always worked fine. What can I do? The interface does not show in Device Manager since I ¨uninstalled¨ it, but the tray icons are there. And the Daws see the name of the interface, but sees it as if it was offline.
Sorry about my english, it is not my native language.

The manual describes how to get rid of the 'tray icons' and ASIO reg entries. If that process doesn't work you can still go into AutoStart and disable the Settings dialog and TotalMix there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME