Topic: Current state of AMD usb compatibility?

Hello!
I am thinking about buying new PC with Ryzen and x570 or b550 motherboard, and upgrading my trusty Babyface to UFX II.
I've found some chipset incompatibility posts across the Internet - mostly concerning asmedia usb. Is it resolved somehow, or there are still problems and RME USB with asmedia is a no-no? I know that I can always buy a dedicated pcie usb controller, but it is yet another investment and I would like to keep it simple smile Is it true that some usb ports on mobo can be connected directly to CPU - and are not going through the chipset? Then, should it be matter of just choosing the right USB port for the interface?
Thanks!

2 (edited by bluewater 2020-09-11 03:50:08)

Re: Current state of AMD usb compatibility?

Not sure if this will help since the USB controller chipset might be different but I was running an Asus B450-F with my Ryzen 9 3900x and recently switched to an ASUS B550-E and both have worked great with my Babyface Pro FS (as long as you avoid Windows 10 2004 (seriously) - Windows 10 Pro with the Group Policy deferral is awesome for this). Latency is solid and it works great. The B550-E has a fair amount of USB 2.0 ports that I use for my music gear (better compatibility) but I had no issues running it on my USB 3.2 ports to on the B450-F.

Hello!

Owczar wrote:

Is it true that some usb ports on mobo can be connected directly to CPU - and are not going through the chipset? Then, should it be matter of just choosing the right USB port for the interface?
Thanks!

Yes to both your questions!
I have an X470 MoBo with a Ryzen 5 2600, and an RME Digiface USB. It's stable as a rock! No errors, ever!

Also, if you build your system, don't forget to optimize it for audio work!
- Disable C-states in the Bios
- Optimize Windows for Background Tasks
- Highest Performance power settings
- Disable unnecessary windows services

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Could some kind soul confirm whether Digiface USB works with X570 CPU-bound USB ports, under Windows 10 21H2?

Having read about all manner of AMD USB issues with audio interfaces, I'd like to be reassured before going ahead!

Thanks

I've ordered the Digiface anyway. I'll post back about how it is with my AMD (MSI) X570 board.

Ahh, nice!

I don't think you 'll have any problems, but yes, let us know!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

7 (edited by Yearofthegoat 2022-03-25 17:11:51)

Fingers crossed, daumes drucked etc.

It's more the AMD board side - there have been a lots and lots of reports of audio interface/mouse/keyboard dropouts on X470 and X570 boards. I have the latest BIOS for Windows 10, but naturally my confidence isn't 100%.  I also have an old Intel Z97 board to help rule out a problem with the Digiface.

I should have the unit on Monday, so here's hoping!

8 (edited by Yearofthegoat 2022-03-29 22:43:12)

Well, so far so maybe good. I'm finding there are intermittent clicks at all buffer sizes - like once every 3 minutes or so. I'm listening directly from the Phones output (into monitors).

The Digiface is connected to a USB port such that it is the only device on that host controller.

I have a few things to test - including reverting the CPU scheduling priority back to 'Background' (I had it on 'Programs' after I read an article from Microsoft about how DAWs don't need that any more as ASIO forms part of the app).

Otherwise things are okay - lower latency than my previous audio interface - so now I just need to familiarise myself with TotalMix.

Something is not right if you get any clicks. If I’m doing anything serious I disable updates as these will start downloading even if the don’t install while you are doing something. Do you have wi fi enabled? That can cause problems. Then you could run latencyMon and leave it running quite a while to see if it identifies anything.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thanks, LatencyMon is fine, no issues. This is a desktop machine with Windows Updates disabled (download notification only), Cortana etc. disabled. Basically it's a DAW machine tweaked to have almost nothing extra running as far as is possible with Windows 10.

I am beginning to wonder if it is indeed the dreaded AM4 USB problem.

Can I return my Digiface as 'incompatible' I wonder.

11 (edited by Yearofthegoat 2022-03-30 20:51:19)

Good news! I set the PCI_E1 lane setting to Gen3, as opposed to Gen4.  I have a Gen4 nvme, but setting PCI_E1 to Gen3 only affects the graphics card (which is Gen3).

EDIT: I doubted what I did but it seems that PCI_E1 and M2 are different lanes altogether: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1315760 … riser-gpu/

I just ran a continuous low bass synth note for about 15mins and not a single click or pop, despite cranking the CPU up with Prime95, opening a PDF and scrolling down it, running Edge and Firefox at the same time, opening and closing both a few times.

Phew

Yearofthegoat wrote:

Good news! I set the PCI_E1 lane setting to Gen3, as opposed to Gen4.  I have a Gen4 nvme, but setting PCI_E1 to Gen3 only affects the graphics card (which is Gen3).

I just ran a continuous low bass synth note for about 15mins and not a single click or pop, despite cranking the CPU up with Prime95, opening a PDF and scrolling down it, running Edge and Firefox at the same time, opening and closing both a few times.

Phew

Just bookmarked this. Im also a x570 user. x570 was the biggest mess in chipsets ive ever had in 30 years .

Adi2pro - Digiface Usb - Arc - Multiface 1

Make sure you test! I only did 15mins, so I'll be keeping an eye (or rather, ear) on it.

Would also add that I did that test with SPDIF out to a Zoom U44 and then to my monitors, rather than directly out of the Digiface's analogue port. It shouldn't be any different. I'm going to check that as well, but if the analogue crackles when the digital doesn't, then that's the Digiface not the X570.

In case it helps, I have an MSI Tomahawk wifi MAG X570 with the 17 BIOS - this one was described as 'Update to AMD ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.3b'.  I didn't go to 18 as that was aimed at Windows 11, which I don't have. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and I run 16GB of Corsair RAM at 3600.

I want to upgrade soon to a 5900X, but I'm still wary of the reports of problems with the 5000 series particularly.

Might sit it all out until Intel comes out with some processors that are speedy but won't burn the house down.