Topic: Routing and Latency question

Hello there!

new UFX+ user here!

I briefly used ufx and just got brn ufx+!

I have question using ufx+ and totalmix( I guess it applies to all rme audio interface)

I'm using UFX +

2 ADAT - RME ADI-8S via adat pipe line. (feeding and sending out using 1 i/o, 2 i/o)

I want to send external preamp's signal(coming in ADAT 7) and send it to compressor (sending out to ADAT 9) and record signal.

are there going to be noticeable latency? if that so i'll just connect preamp to comp easily but i just want to make sure level

before I connect it to compressor. and if it's possible within totalmix, that would be great!

if anyone using that way, please let me know!

(Should I mute Daw's input monitoring option and use totalmix? i'm using studio one 5 here)

Re: Routing and Latency question

For plain recording I would mute DAWs input monitoring and use Totalmix only.
Connecting the Pre and the Comp via adat will induce no latency as you manage the routing and levels in Totalmix.
Your set seems to be fine, you can reduce one ADI-8 and connect the comp and the pre to the other one...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

For plain recording I would mute DAWs input monitoring and use Totalmix only.
Connecting the Pre and the Comp via adat will induce no latency as you manage the routing and levels in Totalmix.
Your set seems to be fine, you can reduce one ADI-8 and connect the comp and the pre to the other one...

Thanks! That’s what I thought.. going to experiment and will report back soon!

Ok, it seems working, haven't done real tracking yet but let me report back if anybody has same question as me.

External Preamp going in to ADI-8 channel 3 -> UFX+ Adat channel 7

click Bottom row of hardware input(Adat channel 7) and you'll see lots of options. I chose AN3(Analog in 3) which is connected to compressor(using Analog 3 out).

Up the fader of preamp channle in Total mix to unity(or whatever we want) and see if signal coming back into AN3 (analog in 3). if not, check hardware output that you're using (in my case AN3 means Analog out channel 3).

viola.

thanks for the help guys smile read tons of thread here and learned a lot.

it's not easy to gel with total mix, but if you think it as digital mixer or if you worked with any DAW alot before, Totalmix seems very logical to me.