Topic: Power suppy questions

Hi there - I noticed when I switch my ADI-2 DAC FS off that the power supply begins to make a noise, which is similar to an alarm or an emergency vehicle siren. Its not loud, but I noticed it yesterday. If I turn the unit on, the sounds goes away, turn the unit off and it returns. What is causing this? Is the power supply unit faulty? Could this be an indication of a failing supply?
Thanks

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-04-01 10:53:29)

Re: Power suppy questions

rossco wrote:

..when I switch my ADI-2 DAC FS off that the power supply begins to make a noise, which is similar to an alarm or an emergency vehicle siren. Its not loud,...

I have this exact same kind of sound too, clearly audible when I lay my ear on the PSU’s case.

Nothing to worry about, the PSU is working with relatively low and audible switch frequencies when idle, to deliver the 0.2 W only of standby power.
This magnetically excites the transformer.

When ADI-2 is on, the PSU works with frequencies way above audible, therefore the “ambulance car” type signal is gone then.

Switched mode power supplies do this. Don't worry about it.

4 (edited by ramses 2022-04-01 14:53:10)

My PSU is so dead silent, that you really have to press it onto your ears to be able to hear very little noise.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13