Topic: Multiple Interface and Total Mix

Hi all
I’m looking to increase the number of analogue line inputs into Logic X and have been thinking about either a ferrofish pulse 16 or buy another UCX II.
With the UCX 2 having just s single ADAT input I don’t think I can get the 16 channel inputs available on the pulse 16 so I’m thinking the best option would be to run 2 UCXII side by side.
How does total mix managed 2 UCXII.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

2 (edited by ramses 2022-04-01 16:44:50)

Re: Multiple Interface and Total Mix

Ferrofish Pulse 16 with 16x analog needs
- 2x ADAT I/O for single speed (44.1/48 kHz) and
- 4x ADAT I/O when working in double speed (88.2/96 kHz),
but your UCX II has only 1x ADAT I/O for 8ch @single speed, 4ch @double speed, 2ch @quad speed.

When using two UCX II you have the disadvantage to not being able to route channels across interfaces.

The best solution would be
either UFX II with 2x ADAT I/O and Ferrofish Pulsefor recording in single speed
or       UFX+ with MADI and Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX (incl. the SFP for MADI), by this you are able to also record all channels in double (and even quad) speed.

As you might remember (in terms of channel count and max cable length):
- ADAT I/O = 8ch @single speed, 4ch @double speed, 2ch @quad speed
  Max cable length according standard = 10m, but with RME and good Mutec cables usually up to 15m possible
- MADI I/O = 64ch @single speed, 32ch @double speed, 16ch @quad speed
  Max cable length 2km between each of the devices, chained in a serial fashion one after the other and back to UFX+
  Gives more possibilities to expand and for better placement in the studio or live

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you, I really appreciate your suggestions
UFX+ and pulse 16 would be sufficient for my setup.

The ferrofish would be a waste of money. RME make a 12 input expansion although not cheap. All expansions will have the limitation on channels depending on the sampling frequency mentioned above.

There are however quite a few other 8 channel adat expansions out there from really cheap to really expensive. So do you have a price point? Always a very important question as suggestions mean nothing without one.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi
I currently have a Focusrite octo pre running in single 48KHZ ADAT which works well. My challenge is I would like at lease 16 inputs as I have a few stereo devices which obviously reduces the usable input channels to 4 on an 8 input device
I can stretch to a UFX+ and a pulse 16 at a later date. I can use the Focusrite octo pre until I can afford the pulse 16

Another option I’ve just thought about is a Digiface USB and the pulse 16. I understand this would have limitations routing across interfaces, but this might be the most affordable way to get 16 inputs into logic X

If I ran my UCXII and this Digiface/Pulse 16 setup would this mean 2 total mix windows ?

7 (edited by hselters 2022-04-04 06:20:33)

itoolsjc wrote:

If I ran my UCXII and this Digiface/Pulse 16 setup would this mean 2 total mix windows ?

You could run the UCX II in standalone mode as an adat extension, then you only deal with one total mix window of the digiface.
But you cannot control the ucx II preamps, EQs, dynamic section from the total mix of the digiface, it depends on your setup whether you still will need both total mix windows in practice.

Using old Fireface 400s and 800s as adat extenters here with digiface usb and quite happy with it.