Topic: Use Subwoofer when I connect Headphones

Hello!

I have a Yamaha HS5 2.1 system (2 monitors and 1 subwofer). I want use only my subwofer when I connect my headphones to ADI-2 (no pro).

Question:
Is possible that ADI-2 change (automatically when headphones is connected) EQ for back XLR output connections to remove all frecuencies higher than 200hz (for example)?

By this way I could "mute" my Yamaha HS5 speaker but Subwoofer will get this frecuencies under 200hz

The connection sequence is like: ADI-2 -> XLR output to Subwoofer -> HS5 monitors are connected to subwoofer with XLR

Thanks!

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-04 07:59:47)

Re: Use Subwoofer when I connect Headphones

Yes and NO.... (reason below)

I guess your Subwoofer is Yamaha HS8S? if so, you can just use the Subwoofer without the HS5 (power off).

If you select the RME adi-2 dac to output signal to XLR and Headphones together, the volume control both at same level, that said, you cannot adjust it individually, the only way you can adjust is at the Subwoofer side, you have to test it if the level fits your requirement.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by edenexposito 2022-04-04 08:03:03)

Thanks for your response!

Yes the sub is HS8S, and yes I can power off my HS5, manually. I was searching the way to do it "automatically",

ADI-2 can not provide a indiviual EQ for each output simultaneously? Maybe if this is possible could be a nice new firmware feature change EQ presets automatically for XLR when headphones is connected.

thanks!

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-04 08:10:52)

edenexposito wrote:

Thanks for your response!

Yes the sub is HS8S, and yes I can power off my HS5, manually. I was searching the way to do it "automatically",

ADI-2 can not provide a indiviual EQ for each output simultaneously? Maybe if this is possible could be a nice new firmware feature change EQ presets automatically for XLR when headphones is connected.

thanks!

I think the HS8S only plays the low frequency, so no need to use the EQ of the XLR, adjust it at the HS8S is fine.

User manual HS5/HS8S https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o … _om_c0.pdf

Yes HS8S only play low freq. But If I not remove all high freq with EQ, HS5 Monitor will sound unless I power off manually HS5 every time that I want use Headphones+Sub. Is this manual process of power on / power off that I want to avoid using this EQ trick, but ADI-2 need can do it .... maybe is not the case without new firmware option or maybe need other internal hardware to achieve that.

Thanks!

Eden,

In your unusual use-case, perhaps the best solution would be to plug your HS5's into an inexpensive Power Strip.  This would then allow  you easily switch "off" your HS5s when you no longer wish to use them. 

Because the ADI-2DAC has only One (1) DAC Chip, it cannot support different EQs being simultaneously output.   Ex:   The EQ on XLR will be the same as that via RCA.   This is not a firmware matter. 

A simple Power Strip is your solution.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

7 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-04 16:34:19)

edenexposito wrote:

Yes HS8S only play low freq. But If I not remove all high freq with EQ, HS5 Monitor will sound unless I power off manually HS5 every time that I want use Headphones+Sub. Is this manual process of power on / power off that I want to avoid using this EQ trick, but ADI-2 need can do it .... maybe is not the case without new firmware option or maybe need other internal hardware to achieve that.

Thanks!

I just test at my dac, the EQ of XLR and RCA are same, Headphone is different when mute line is on, when both XLR/RCA and Headphones output selected with "Mute Line" off, seems the EQ will follow the Line Out, that said you can try it by testing, however, volume control is same for all outputs.

https://i.ibb.co/F0mKGGQ/Screenshot-2022-04-04-at-23-33-07.png

Once you found the optimal setting, you can save it and recall it while you want.

If the level of the Subwoofer is still too loud when you set to lowest while the headphone volume is at your listening level, you need a passive XLR inline attenuator, but then the output to HS5 will be lower too.

Curt962 wrote:

Eden,

In your unusual use-case, perhaps the best solution would be to plug your HS5's into an inexpensive Power Strip.  This would then allow  you easily switch "off" your HS5s when you no longer wish to use them. 

Because the ADI-2DAC has only One (1) DAC Chip, it cannot support different EQs being simultaneously output.   Ex:   The EQ on XLR will be the same as that via RCA.   This is not a firmware matter. 

A simple Power Strip is your solution.

Curt

Thought he want to listen with headphone with Subwoofer on to get some physical feel with HS5 off, yes, a power strip is easier to access rather than go to the back of the HS5(s).

Jo...

I think Eden's vision is a "Push-Button Free" method of achieving his goal.  That is simply not possible, and to that end, a Power Strip is the most simple, and straight forward path. 

Control the Power Strip with your Toe!   Just like a Musician with a "Stomp Box" on the Stage!  smile

Simplicity Rocks!

Curt

10 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-04 15:22:11)

Curt962 wrote:

Jo...

I think Eden's vision is a "Push-Button Free" method of achieving his goal.  That is simply not possible, and to that end, a Power Strip is the most simple, and straight forward path. 

Control the Power Strip with your Toe!   Just like a Musician with a "Stomp Box" on the Stage!  smile

Simplicity Rocks!

Curt

Yes, if he want easy access.

HS5 is a small speaker for desktop, the switch is at the back panel close to the side (within 2 inches), also not hard to access with finger, let him decide which way is best for his desk setup.

https://i.ibb.co/rtS52QJ/www-ubuy.jpg

I do wish the attenuation of the Subwoofer is enough for his application instead of adding passive inline XLR attenuator to it for the HS5 input which brings more problem.

11 (edited by Curt962 2022-04-04 15:30:40)

Jo,

You know me better.  I hate needless complexity.

The Power Strip suggestion put forth thus far is precisely where I am.  The Subs/Mains are intended to work as a Team.  Phones/Sub was likely never a consideration.  Subs alone?  Get Rid of the Mains.  One Switch - Done!

Attenuators are great, but don't belong here.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Jo,

You know me better.  I hate needless complexity.

The Power Strip suggestion put forth thus far is precisely where I am.  The Subs/Mains are intended to work as a Team.  Phones/Sub was likely never a consideration.  Subs alone?  Get Rid of the Mains.  One Switch - Done!

Attenuators are great, but don't belong here.

Curt

Curt, no objection smile

13 (edited by Curt962 2022-04-04 17:27:41)

Did I ever mention that my Vintage ADI-2 DAC is amongst the Greatest Things  I've ever owned?  It's capabilities are simply too great to encapsulate in one, single Post.

The RME, in collaboration with other elements have given me the most enjoyable listening experience EVER! 

Ja.  My next DAC will also be an RME.

Curt

Thanks for all replies and test!

I'll try the simple way of switching off my HS5... maybe a smart power adapter connected to the iphone and on/off with "ey siri" is an easy and cheap solution.

I'm nervous, my ADI-2 DAC arrives tomorrow! (I'm coming from SCHIIT JOTUNHEIM (as preamp) and ZENDAC V2 (as DAC) with SEN HD650 and HIFIMAN edition SX)

I hope to notice a difference for the better with this DAC.

edenexposito wrote:

I’m sure - if you explore ADI-2’s Loudness Function and Parametric EQ.
The Sennheiser HD 650 has a lot of potential waiting to get unleashed.

edenexposito wrote:

Thanks for all replies and test!

I'll try the simple way of switching off my HS5... maybe a smart power adapter connected to the iphone and on/off with "ey siri" is an easy and cheap solution.

I'm nervous, my ADI-2 DAC arrives tomorrow! (I'm coming from SCHIIT JOTUNHEIM (as preamp) and ZENDAC V2 (as DAC) with SEN HD650 and HIFIMAN edition SX)

I am sure too. I have a Zen Dac V1 before where I started digital streaming and play digital files, it is not bad at all, warm yet powerful but lack of precision and details, them I bought the RME Adi-2 Dac Fs, WOW! it is so clean and detailed, not because of AKM or ESS chip but the RME tuning, You will enjoy it without anything to nervous about, if you encounter something which is not clear to you, come back and ask, we are all happy to assist.

I still keep the Zen Dac V1 for my computer and small active speakers with 3.5 input.

edenexposito wrote:

I'm nervous, my ADI-2 DAC arrives tomorrow!

Today there is a new firmware launched, update it after you got the unit.

Firmware link:
MacOS https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

When you have time, Read The Fantastic Manual:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf