Topic: MIDI through in TotalMix?

Hi,

I have one keyboard, one external synth (Roland JV-2080), and a RME Babyface.

I connect MIDI this way: Keyboard -> Babyface -> Roland

And then left and right audio from Roland to Babyface.

I add a MIDI channel in Cubase and one Audio channel to record. Works perfect.

My question is, can I do this routing in TotalMix? A lot of times when I just want to play and not record anything, I need to run Cubase to do the MIDI-routing, or I have to disconnect the MIDI cable from the Babyface and put it directly into the Roland. I tried to enable MIDI in and out in the MIDI remote control option, but that just gives me a constant tone from the Roland, I can not play at all.

Regards
David

Re: MIDI through in TotalMix?

There's no built in midi router in TMFX. Instead you can use Midi Patchbay or Midi Yoke to route your midi signal from babyface midi in to its midi out.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

bsfreq wrote:

There's no built in midi router in TMFX. Instead you can use Midi Patchbay or Midi Yoke to route your midi signal from babyface midi in to its midi out.

Is this still the case for 2022?
Midi in (fireface UFx+) -> Madi in (madiface usb)

Does the Roland have midi through? If it does then go from keyboard to Roland then computer. Just disable the output of the channel in your daw until you need it. Change channel the keyboard sends on so it doesn’t play the Roland but the computer does. Quite a few different ways you can manipulate midi.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Existing responses have pretty much covered it, just to be clear though that no because TotalMixFX's only usage of MIDI is for using MIDI to control TotalMixFX itself (so that it, in turn, controls the interface per MIDI signal). MIDI and/or OSC can be setup for this sole purpose. It would've been great for that functionality to exist in TotalMixFX, especially because for Mac, MIDI Patchbay being a 32-bit app, cannot be used any longer on modern versions and so as OP laments, I've no choice but to fire up the DAW just for even one simple MIDI routing. I will note that MacOS' 'Audio MIDI Setup' app supports one user-specified 'live routing' of MIDI on the bluetooth / Network MIDI window, I recently learnt, and you don't even have to use BT/Wifi MIDI devices as your choices for source & destination, they can be any real and/or virtual MIDI I/O. To go that route, pin 'Audio MIDI Setup' to Dock, because you seem to have to enable on each fresh booting of the OS, its not like a setting for 'set it n forget it' like most in that app.

6 (edited by FS13 2022-04-15 23:40:00)

DaveDaves wrote:

Existing responses have pretty much covered it, just to be clear though that no because TotalMixFX's only usage of MIDI is for using MIDI to control TotalMixFX itself (so that it, in turn, controls the interface per MIDI signal). MIDI and/or OSC can be setup for this sole purpose. It would've been great for that functionality to exist in TotalMixFX, especially because for Mac, MIDI Patchbay being a 32-bit app, cannot be used any longer on modern versions and so as OP laments, I've no choice but to fire up the DAW just for even one simple MIDI routing. I will note that MacOS' 'Audio MIDI Setup' app supports one user-specified 'live routing' of MIDI on the bluetooth / Network MIDI window, I recently learnt, and you don't even have to use BT/Wifi MIDI devices as your choices for source & destination, they can be any real and/or virtual MIDI I/O. To go that route, pin 'Audio MIDI Setup' to Dock, because you seem to have to enable on each fresh booting of the OS, its not like a setting for 'set it n forget it' like most in that app.

Thanks for your idea!
I tried it but it’s to complicated to fully understand and work something out.
Here is the scenario:
I send audio clock stream from iMac1 (master) to the erm multiclock.
The Multiclock then provides 4 shiftable midi clock outs.
One of them goes out in to midi2 in fireface ufx+ Port on the back.
The fireface is connected to the main iMac1.
I then want to send the shiftable midi clock from the fireface input, to the Madi Output of the fireface, then into to the madiface usb (midi over Madi), which is connected to another MacBook2, where ableton should be sequenced by this shiftable clock.

My problem is that I don’t know how to set up this midi forwarding.

All the network midi solutions that exist talk about forwarding midi notes etc. (Which i dont need to adress). They do not provide any solutions for my problem, although the principle looks quiet promising…

[edit]: found the Solution.

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

Works for intel,arm,32/64 bit
Just build a pipe between the desired in- and outputs
It worked perfect