1 (edited by jasonvex 2014-01-29 22:15:11)

Topic: Babyface TotalMix FX Setup - Setting up headphone mix with mic reverb

I just got the Babyface a few days ago and like how it sounds but I'm very confused since I am unfamiliar with software like TotalMix. I heard it was really unintuitive before I bought it but I did not think it would be this confusing. All the manuals and youtube videos I've looked at have not helped me as much with my specific problem.

My setup is very simple.
I want all my sound from Ableton to go through my studio monitors and headphones.

I have one mic, which I would like reverb on. I ONLY want to hear this output through my headphones for doing vocal monitoring. (i.e. I DO NOT want to hear monitored vocals through my studio monitors.)

I can hear the mic without reverb but for some reason my FX will not work after I have even increased the gain to the FX.

I am so confused by the mixer channels on TotalMIX FX. I see the names such as: AN 1, AN 2, AS 1/2, ADAT. I have no idea what the difference b/w AS, AN, and ADAT is.

I'm sorry if my post comes as negative but this thing has been pissing me off for days. It sounds so great so I don't want to return it but this mixer software has been a huge pain.

Re: Babyface TotalMix FX Setup - Setting up headphone mix with mic reverb

You see levels for input and output in the level meters of the FX panel? Then you did not raise the FX-Return fader (the small one) in the headphone output channel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What FX-Return fader are you referring to? I can't seem to find it. I've attached a screenshot of my TotalMix FX settings.
http://i.imgur.com/InrLfLD.png

Outdated driver - please download new one from our website. Same most probably for the firmware of the Babyface. The small FX return fader is right to the fader knob of all third row faders in your screenshot, and in the middle of the Hardware output row you even have one channel open that shows the FX Return pot.

Before asking further questions I seriously advice to read the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by neirbod 2014-01-29 17:12:19)

jasonvex wrote:

All the manuals and youtube videos I've looked at have not helped in any way.

Given your questions I find it hard to believe you read the manual.

jasonvex wrote:

I can hear the mic without reverb but for some reason my FX will not work after I have even increased the gain to the FX.

Because you did not turn up the fx return on your output, as Matthias already noted.  The little fader next to the larger one on each output channel.  This is all in the manual. Even if you don't want to read the whole thing you could try doing a word search for "return" and you'll find this in a few seconds. 

jasonvex wrote:

I am so confused by the mixer channels on TotalMIX FX. I see the names such as: AN 1, AN 2, AS 1/2, ADAT. I have no idea what the difference b/w AS, AN, and ADAT is.

Again, this is in the manual.  AN = analog input, AS = SPDIF, ADAT = ADAT

jasonvex wrote:

I'm sorry if my post comes as negative but this thing has been pissing me off for days. It sounds so great so I don't want to return it but this mixer software has been a huge pain.

Totalmix can be confusing at first, and folks here will be glad to help you get oriented.  But do yourself a favor and read the manual, or at least search it, before asking here.  You'll tend to get better responses if you demonstrate that you have at least tried to figure it out first.

MC wrote:

Outdated driver - please download new one from our website. Same most probably for the firmware of the Babyface. The small FX return fader is right to the fader knob of all third row faders in your screenshot, and in the middle of the Hardware output row you even have one channel open that shows the FX Return pot.

Before asking further questions I seriously advice to read the manual.

Ok I've updated my drivers and I tried increasing the FX return fader knob on the hardware output row and it still didn't work.

1. What is really confusing me is that for the output FX, it does not state which hardware output it is being sent to. Are all the hardware outputs routed to the Output FX by default?

2. Another thing that is confusing me is that my first hardware input is called AN1, which is my mic input, but my first software output is called AN1/2... this is not my mic correct? This is the analog output coming from my DAW/PC?

3. Which hardware output do you suggest me sending my mic (AN1) to? Does it matter?

4. Also I'm not sure if I have my main control room set up correctly. I watched a demo where the guy for his Control Room sent:
Main Out-> AN1/2 I believe. Then Headphone -> Headphone 3/4. This allows me so that when I click on my Main mix, I have my mic turned off, but for my headphones I will always have my mic being monitored for recording purposes.

7 (edited by jasonvex 2014-01-30 03:11:24)

Hey guys I am still stuck with the same problem. I am going through the manual as I type this. So from my understanding of the manual, it says the lowest field on a channel is what's called the "routing target."

Since I only want my mic+reverb to be head in my headphones, I have set my routing target of my preamp (ToneBeast) to PH 3/4 which I believe should be headphones. So when I do that I can hear my mic just fine, but still no reverb. On my ToneBeast/preamp channel I have set the FX Send all the way up so that it gets sent to the Reverb which is turned on. I can see the signals in my Reverb channel going up (FX In/FX Out). On my hardware outputs, I tried increasing all the FX Returns all the way on all the channels and I still could not hear any reverb. Any advice? I attached my current settings as of tonight:
http://i.imgur.com/05qhYX0.png

On this picture you raised the faders on all the software outputs, not the hardware outputs. Especially not on your Phones output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by neirbod 2014-01-30 03:58:59)

http://www.nomadrecordingstudio.com/images/05qhYX0.png

Wow this worked. Thank you very much.

neirbod wrote:

http://www.nomadrecordingstudio.com/images/05qhYX0.png

the picture isn't there anymore sad

judelaw wrote: