Topic: New macOS RME USB 4.01 driver – public beta test

This is an update on our first beta version, see here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35063

Version 4.01 has these improvements:

- Added channel names

- Surround/multichannel support added for Audio MIDI Setup

- Added system control of volume for the Babyface Pro (VOL keys on laptop etc)

- works with Cubase 12 (the current workaround for this will be discussed with Steinberg, as all other DAWs did not need it)

Currently supported devices:
Babyface Pro series
UFX+, UFX II
UCX II
Digiface USB, AVB, Dante
MADIface USB, XT

Current driver version: 4.01. Included TotalMix FX: 1.76beta3. This is a special DriverKit version that is not compatible to previous drivers.

System requirements: macOS 11 and up, Intel or M processor (Apple Silicon)

Installation: Double-click on driver_mac_usbdk_401.zip to expand the archive file to the driver file Fireface USB DK 401.pkg. Installation works automatically by a double-click on the pkg (package) file. Users that tried version 4.0 will not see the Allow dialog and button anymore. All others should get that dialog, and before reboot should check that in Security & Privacy, tab General, the RME driver is allowed to load. If not unlock the settings and allow it. Then reboot computer.

Notes

A previously installed kernel extension driver, like 3.27, does not need to be uninstalled. It will be overwritten automatically. After that you could set the system security back to normal, unless any other existing kernel extensions still need reduced security.

To go back to 3.27: easiest method is to drag the Fireface USB Settings app found in the folder Applications to the trash can - only use the Finder for this action. With DriverKit this Settings dialog is 'the app', upon removal all driver files belonging to it will also be removed automatically. You will be asked for permission for the removal of the extensions. If done simply reinstall the former 3.27.

As an alternative we also made a version of the 3.27 driver available that should reliably remove the DriverKit extension during its installation, see link below. The one found on our website for download is not guaranteed to always do that.

Downloads:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_401.zip

Former driver 3.27 with updated installer to remove DriverKit 4.0:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_327.zip

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by cigame 2022-04-08 14:52:23)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.01 driver – public beta test

Sorry, but does not work at all with UFX+.
First TM window did not show up.
Then it shows but sample rate is 32kHz and can not be changed.
I can select 48kHz in FF USB setting, but that will not be transferred to the hardware.
Also in Audio-Midi-Setup no RME device is shown.
Connected with USB 3 and USB 2 as well.

Thunderbolt is also unusable because TM window will not open.
Copied the old TM from the other Mac and deleting the new, brought TM back to life.

Reinstalling of the old USB driver 3.27 went well.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Sorry for your bad experience. We have this driver running with UFX+ on three different systems, so can not reproduce the behavior.  And maybe you gave up a bit too quick - another reboot might have helped? Anyway, the TB version will be available in a few days, hopefully you have more luck with that one then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And a general remark: this is not an open discussion thread about whatsoever. Posts that not adress testing driver 4.01 do not belong here. The first beta thread quickly deteriorated into an unreadable shitbag about lots of unrelated stuff. I will not allow this here again (and subsequently removed two posts already).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe it does not work because I have three drivers installed.
HDSPe
USB
Thunderbolt
and I need two versions of TM for either of these?

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

That would be an explanation. The driver will overwrite an existing USB driver, but not the TB and HDSPe one. As pointed out in the opening post the new driver needs a special TM FX, which is not backwards compatible. So if you want to try again first rename (disable) the existing TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.
I'll try and report.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Tried on MacBook Pro 13" M1.
Renamed original TM.
Installed beta.
Allowed RME in System Prefs Security.
Two restarts.
Connected Digiface USB.
TM new beta does not open by itself.
I can open it manually.
FF USB settings opens but with different sample rates.
No RME USB device shown in Audio-MIDI-Setup and menu bar.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Connected HDSPe
TM new beta opens by itself and is working fine.
Can change sample rates in HDSPe Settings.
Changes are shown in TM.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

10 (edited by cigame 2022-04-09 07:38:47)

Moved new Beta FF USB settings to trash.
Installed old USB 327.
Rebooted.
327 install has overwritten TM beta.
Everything is back to normal.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

11 (edited by MrSmith 2022-04-09 10:00:32)

4.01 Beta on UFX+ works for me with a couple of minor issues (16" MacBook M1 Pro Monterey 12.3.1) :

• Total Mix does not show after a restart until disconnect/reconnect of UFX+ (Audio still works before disconnect/reconnect)

• In Cubase 11 the 'Show As' input names are lost. These can be reset to default names but the  'Audio Connections' Input Presets no longer work. This may not be a driver 'bug' but it is annoying to lose the input patching presets in Cubase

It feels as though the driver works better for BFD3 (VSTi) at low latency (96kHz 64 sample buffer) in Cubase 11.
(Edit - I can't risk using it this low because I still get the odd (and expected) click but it shows the driver is pretty good)
Works well in Reaper (but 3.27 does as well so harder to compare).

Looks promising to me.

USB 4.01 is working for me. Macbook Air M1, Monterey 12.3.1, Digiface USB

So far so good here: MacBook Pro M1 Max, Monterey 12.3.1, UCX II

UCX II, MacBook Pro 14" Max on whatever OS is latest

I wish to test this new driver but wanted to check about something. Currently I use Madiface USB (supported) and I use original UFX (currently unsupported) only as Adat IO expansion via ADI-648.

Currently In Totalmix I have 2 windows - one for Madiface USB and the other for UFX. Under new driver TM would not see the UFX right?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use current TM and new Beta TM at the same time? Or will Beta install remove previous TM?

Kind regards

So far so good with the Babyface Pro FS on an M1 Pro.

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

Hi Paul,

paulnajar wrote:

I wish to test this new driver but wanted to check about something. Currently I use Madiface USB (supported) and I use original UFX (currently unsupported) only as Adat IO expansion via ADI-648.

Currently In Totalmix I have 2 windows - one for Madiface USB and the other for UFX. Under new driver TM would not see the UFX right?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use current TM and new Beta TM at the same time? Or will Beta install remove previous TM?

please wait with testing until the new driver supports the UFX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias. Understood.

Tried the 4.01 Driver with my UFX+ on my new Mac Studio M1 Max:

TotalMix freezes after powering down the Interface (meters frozen, app not reacting until after reboot).
Also, it changed samplerate from 48khz to 44.1khz multiple times and therefore lost Madi connection to my M32 AD and DA.

Went back to 3.27 for now.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

Not working on MacBook pro m1. I use latest  Logic.
Total mix seems to work. But Babyface is not recognized by the Computer.  Can‘t choose the interface in audio set up from Logic nor as audio device in System Preferences „Tone“. Best regards
Oliver

Is that a Babyface or a Babyface Pro? Babyface is currently not supported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Babyface Pro. Funny thing is that 3.27 is now working fine, which was not running before I used your reinstall driver. Strange. Happy that its woking at all smile

4.01 is working with Madiface XT on MMB M1 Max. Thanks!

23 (edited by SoundChaser 2022-04-15 05:04:44)

Everything is running smoothly here on my Mac Studio Max M1 with Logic Pro X and Monterey 12.3.1.
Installation failed the first time due to my mistake, I haven’t read the manual. My second attempt was successful after rebooting and changing security preferences. Will try with Studio One next days.

Windows 11 ––  Fireface 802

24 (edited by BrunoYoo 2022-04-15 12:33:21)

4.01 is installed and there is no problem in operation. But every time I boot up, the fireface USB settings show up on the screen. (If I go back to 3.27, it starts, but doesn't show on the screen. I think 3.27 is normal.) (M1 Mac MINI, OS 12.3.1, Babyface Pro FS)

Can you say when the beta driver will be available for the Fireface 802?
I've got the problem, that I can't install the 3.27 USB-driver on my Mac Studio with MacOS 12.3.1. The Allow dialog doesn't shows up and after the driver reset in recovery mode it only says that the dev has to update the software to use it. When I install 4.0 or 4.01 the dialog works, but the FF802 is of course not detected.

26 (edited by kay 2022-04-17 21:26:07)

Driver v4.01 – BabyFace Pro FS, FW v200 – MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)

1:
The MacOS user interface dials (Sound Preferences, Audio MIDI Setup) and keyboard volume buttons appear to work only if TotalMix is started. If TotalMix is not running or quit, the dials change with the volume buttons pressed, but the actual sound levels stay the same despite of the user interface showing the changes. This was working without TotalMix with the kernel driver.

2:
The DriverKit *dkusb task takes 25-30% of the CPU time (Activity Monitor) during audio playback (simple music player). Is there a chance to improve this? Or was it already a similar value just accounted to the kernel before?

3:
Is there a way to fix the sample rate to 48000 somehow? After reboot it is sometimes (re)set to 44100. Not always, I can't see the pattern when this happens. This is not new, it also happened from time to time in the past with the kernel drivers.

4:
It would be nice, if possible, if none of the user visible tools need to be started automatically at bootup, including the USB Settings App.

Thanks!

27 (edited by jeffl 2022-04-26 22:39:34)

In use with Madiface XT, MBP 16 Max & Nuendo 2 Live, DiGiCo Quantum 338 Desk:

1. Analog Channels are shown as last In/Out, but patched as first. (So I have to deselect the first 6 Madi In & first 8 Madi Out to get a clean 64CH Stream in/out stream for Rec/Playback.

2. In different time intervals the Madi stream logs off briefly and logs on again.(Was fine in old Firmware)

Zoom.us
Looks like, zoom.us application does not accept my Fireface UFX+ with the new driver. Every time I select the device as an output device, zoom freezes. I know that it worked before. If I use a virtual device like Blackhole in the background and route the signal back to the UFX+ e. g. using Ladio Cast, it works. But it is not possible to select the UFX+ as an output device in zoom app on MacOS.

@kay:

2: I agree with you: CPU usage is high, much more higher in comparison to the previous major version.

on my macbook pro m1 and the latest os ( 12.3.1) the new driver works audio wise but the totalmix gui does not appear. I get the upper toolbar of the app but no mixer or matrix screen. Any ideas?

Can anyone confirm, using the new drivers, if aggregate devices work with Cubase 12 on Monterey?

I'm seeing evidence that the 4.21 HDSPe drivers cause aggregate to fail in that config. I'd be very interested in knowing if the new drivers might fix, when HDSPe gets a similar update.

All that's needed in the aggregate to test, is - RME devices plus one other. I think the other, in my experience, can be anything.

I have a UC, but that's apparently not yet supported, so I can't test.

Thanks!

Continued here with version 4.02:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35324

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME