Topic: macOS driver future incompatibility warning

When I updated macOS to 12.3.1 today, system shown an warning regarding the AIO driver (latest version from RME) still use legacy kernel extension and will not be compatible with future version of macOS in some point:

https://i.imgur.com/SBMTVng.png

I've got other software that use such legacy style kernel extension and got warning as well when upgrading macOS, but now only RME driver remaining yet to update the driver to meet the new standard.

I'd like to point out that, I knew it's might sounds a bit much to ask for RME to following the beta version of macOS like other software developing teams would do and have a working version of driver available when the stable version of OS update released, but it's a bit troublesome that I might need to worry about updating my macOS for security patch or new features then found out my AIO is no longer working and have to use the built-in speaker of my Mac Pro instead of my SPDIF speaker system. Sometimes the update after the OS release could take a while, which isn't ideal. It's 2022 already and we are way pass the day to ask people to stay put with some outdated/vulnerable working environments just because they have to choose between their audio system or security/feature.

That's why I'd like to bring this issue up early as this update might take a bit more effort to resolve. Thank you.

Re: macOS driver future incompatibility warning

You are not early, but late. See other posts in this forum mentioning that before, and the new beta driver thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by __ 2022-04-01 06:13:31)

MC wrote:

You are not early, but late. See other posts in this forum mentioning that before, and the new beta driver thread.

Could you point out the URL to the beta driver thread?

I found this one but it's for USB not PCIe I assumed?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35063

The PCIe and TB driver is ready and will be available soon as well. We first wanted to get feedback with the driver that is most often in use - USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The PCIe and TB driver is ready and will be available soon as well. We first wanted to get feedback with the driver that is most often in use - USB.

Sounds good! In which case, I'm hoping that some of the strange behaviour I've been seeing will be addressed with an update. I have several threads open on the subject.

The one I guess could potentially be addressed, is where one of my 3 linked Multifaces shows a high noise level, until I reboot (boot the Mac a second time). It seems like an initialisation issue.

Fingers crossed!

By the way, if you need someone to test a PCIe driver, I'm fairly well placed.