Topic: [Solved] TotalMix FX not displaying in Windows 10 - ADI-2 Pro

I just connected my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE yesterday. I downloaded the latest drivers, and I was able to install TotalMix FX (which did not automatically install with the drivers, I had to downlaod separately from a link on this forum and drag it into a windows folder).

TotalMix FX shows up in my taskbar, I can right-click it and choose between "Workspace quick select" (which opens a windows of 30 <Empty> slots with the option to "Activate Selection" or "Cancel" or "Save Current Workspace As")  "New Totalmix Window" which opens a "Function Select" window that has two boxes, one labelled Window Type has option of Mixer View and Matrix View, then a box of Initial Device which is empty.

Whether choosing Mixer View or Matrix View and clicking OK, nothing happens.

I created a TotalMix FX desktop shortcut so I could right-click and Run As Administrator, but nothing opens when I do that.

I can't find any advice on this issue. The program seems to be installed, but it won't display so that I can interact with it (I'm trying to run a pre-amp into my ADI-2 Pro's Analog Ins).

What am I missing?

Re: [Solved] TotalMix FX not displaying in Windows 10 - ADI-2 Pro

The ADI-2 Pro FS R is a digital converter and not a sound card, whereas Totalmix is available for sound cards (thus not the AD/DA converter)

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

I see plenty of information online (as well as in the manual) about connecting an audio interface to the ADI-2 PRO FS R via the analog ins. And they all say to use TotalMix FX to manage this. I just can't get TotalMix FX to open.

The ADI-2 isn't compatible with the TotalMix FX software.

The mentions of TotalMix FX in the manual seem to be referencing technology built into the DSP, not the software.

As mentioned you can’t use TotalMix with the converter. That’s why it is t part of the driver download or mentioned in the manual. Yes you can use TotalMix if you plug it into an RME audio interface as that will we loaded with the audio interface driver.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Ahh I see. So how do I route my microphone pre-amp into my ADI-2 Pro then? Does it require an RME interface (I've got a MOTU M2).

I'd like to do this for general usability, but also to use Room EQ Wizard to measure my room with the RME EQ settings enabled.

Thank you for any help, I've been searching all over for answers.

If you want to connect a mic to RME ADI-2 Pro you need a mic preamp between the mic and the ADI-2 Pro as the ADI is a line level converter > If you have such a preamp you can connect the line level output of the mic preamp to the input(s) of the ADI-2 Pro.
But, maybe it's far quicker to use the Motu M2 for the Room EQ Wizard measurements. Just a thought smile

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

fieldstu wrote:

If you want to connect a mic to RME ADI-2 Pro you need a mic preamp between the mic and the ADI-2 Pro as the ADI is a line level converter > If you have such a preamp you can connect the line level output of the mic preamp to the input(s) of the ADI-2 Pro.
But, maybe it's far quicker to use the Motu M2 for the Room EQ Wizard measurements. Just a thought smile

So this is exactly what I've been doing, connecting the Motu outputs to the analog inputs of the RME, but I never get a signal (such as when I test on Reaper, or in REW).

I'd happily conduct the measurements with the Motu (I've done it many times before having the RME), but I've tried setting the input as the Motu M2 and the output as my RME ADI-2, and I still get no signal through my microphone.

I've scrolled through different settings on the RME, the USB, the Pre-Amp, etc., but still can't get a signal to go from the Motu M2 and into the RME's Analog Ins.

Feel like I've followed all the advice I've found online (and in the manual of course) but I must be missing something.

9 (edited by JustAnAvocado 2022-04-29 00:59:34)

Do you see a signal from the Motu M2 on the ADI-2 itself? Either on the Global Level Meter or Analog Input Analyzer pages.

10 (edited by fieldstu 2022-04-29 05:42:35)

First you need to set up routing in the M2 from mic input to line output, otherwise won't work. I believe Motu has an internal mixer also, but you could also set it up in a DAW otherwise.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

JustAnAvocado wrote:

Do you see a signal from the Motu M2 on the ADI-2 itself? Either on the Global Level Meter or Analog Input Analyzer pages.

I don't see any signal on the RME that the Motu M2 is plugged into the analog inputs. Nor do I see any signal when I open Reaper and enable the analog inputs of the RME and hit record on a track.

I've got my mic plugged into the Motu like normal, phantom power on (it's a condenser mic), and I've got the line outputs from the Motu going into the Analog inputs of the RME.

Is there a setting I need to activate? The manual doesn't mention anything about needing to change a setting, just how to set the ref level and trim gain.

Have you enabled direct monitoring on the Motu?

JustAnAvocado wrote:

Have you enabled direct monitoring on the Motu?

That did it! I never used that feature on my Motu, forgot it was there. Makes perfect sense now though.

Thanks so much to all those who chimed in. I hope this helps anyone out there running into a similar roadblock. As I suspected, it was me all along and not the RME smile