1 (edited by ramses 2022-04-30 05:35:19)

Topic: phase

Hi,
any idea how to use existent tools/functions in DIGcheck to show, e.g. for a guitarist, whether his two (or three ...) mics on a guitar amp are well positioned in phase?

Last time when turning the phase of the 2nd mic by 180° in TotalMix FX the mutual deletion of the mic signal, if both mics are in phase was not so clearly recognizable which make me wonder as I had in memory that the effect of mutual deletion was stronger / better recognizable.

Since then I position the mics only "out of the gut" and up to now it worked quite well. Just I got the idea that maybe a technical tool could help me with ths without having to inspect the wave form of two tracks.

So my question or proposal, whether this could be displayed somewhere visual or in numbers. Similar to e.g. crest level, that 1.0 means completely in phase.

Thanks for sharing your ideas / proposals

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

2 (edited by Robin Walsh 2022-04-30 05:31:51)

Re: phase

Hi Ramses.

The only thing I can think of is panning the guitars hard left and right and checking on the goniometer on Totalyser for the best phase placement. First for two mics, then panning them both left, dropping the level, and panning the third to the right..

It's not as easy when using only Totalmix, but I use this method all the time when working with Nuendo. If there was a phase meter in Totalmix it would make it easier, I guess. I don't often 'mult' recording signals together in Totalmix. I prefer tracking all the signals separately in case I need to make adjustments later.

Best,
Robin

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Good idea Robin, thanks :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My pleasure!! :-)

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe