1 (edited by emeissl 2022-04-28 11:52:13)

Topic: ADI2PRO Samplingfrequency issue in Preamp Mode

Good morning,

I recently integrated an ADI2PRO fsrbe into my system. I mainly use it in basic mode "DAC". For my speakers, I need the PEQ function. As signal input I use USB (out of a streamer), SPDIF (CDP) and analogue (phono and tuner). USB is always connected to the ADI2PRO and is active, yet the streaming device only sends a clock signal when music actually is being streamed. If nothing is streamed and no SPDIF signal is active from the CDP, the ADI2PRO switches the clock to 768 kHz, thus deactivating the EQ - according to the manual.

Since I need EQ, I thought after browsing the forum here for a solution, I saved 2 different setups and made them toggleable with remote button 4. Setup1 "DAC" - Setup2 "Preamp" mode. According to the manual, SF 192 kHz should be set by default and, alternatively, SF could also be set manually. So far so good. But even in this "Preamp" mode, SF changes, when a clock signal is applied via USB or SPDIF. This means, it shows the same behaviour as in the DAC mode. 

Sidenote: Interestingly, however I set the clock source in preamp mode and save it in Setup2, "SPDIF in" appears as the default clock source when Setup2 is called up again. Is this as it should be?

What would I like to have? A setting where the ADI2PRO works as a preamp and takes the analogue input as source, independent of the plugged in alternaitve sources, and outputs it analogue with 192 kHz SF to mainout 1/2. This setup I would like to store as setup2 in order to be toggled in alternation with mode "DAC" when needed. 

I'm sure this is possible, but even after diving deep the manual several times I haven't found it yet. I seem to have overlooked something in the forest full of possibilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, Ernst

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-04-28 11:41:31)

Re: ADI2PRO Samplingfrequency issue in Preamp Mode

I use a comparable configuration, and do use DAC Mode.

Manual page 43 says: “DAC Mode ... The AD conversion always uses the last set sample rate of USB.”

Despite that, when AD/DA Source is “Analog”, ADI-2 still follows USB’s samplerate changes, as ADI-2 does keep USB connection enabled for recording Analog to USB.

To avoid a “wrong” sample rate:
• USB connection needs to be physically unplugged.
• Or the streamer needs to be completely switched off.
• Or the streamer needs to send a sample rate ≤192 kHz.
This last option might be possible by streamer configuration.

@ MC:
If it’s possible for ADI-2 Pro being Clock Master when connected to USB, a user option should be introduced for setting the AD-clock.
For the recording path this would equal the situation when a digital input (AES etc.) is selected and defines the sample rate.

emeissl wrote:

I recently integrated an ADI2PRO fsrbe into my system. I mainly use it in basic mode "DAC". For my speakers, I need the PEQ function. As signal input I use USB (out of a streamer), SPDIF (CDP) and analogue (phono and tuner). USB is always connected to the ADI2PRO and is active, yet the streaming device only sends a clock signal when music actually is being streamed. If nothing is streamed and no SPDIF signal is active from the CDP, the ADI2PRO switches the clock to 768 kHz

That's an incorrect description. The streamer changes the sample rate to 768 kHz, the ADI has no choice as to follow. You should contact the manufacturer of that streamer and ask why they are doing this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by emeissl 2022-04-28 13:16:53)

Thanks Kai and Matthias for your replys!

Ok, Matthias, I have to follow your statement, that the streamer is the reason for the switching the SR. Mine was just an description of an observation. Yours is knowing your devices. :-)

Kai, of course either of your proposals 1 and 2 would work. For number 3 I have to dig into audiolinux, if it is possible not to switch to >192 kHz when no music is actively playing. Probably i have to go back to the developer.

For me it would be very convenient, if I could keep the ADI2PRO clock master in Preamp mode, even USB is plugged in. So I like Kai's request to MC.

Then it seems switching to Preamp Mode for me does not make sense, as regarding to USB clock dominance it is the same as in DAC mode.

Cheers, Ernst

Hi Ernst,
Which streamer are you using?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

6 (edited by emeissl 2022-05-04 13:51:27)

Hi, I use a raspberry 4 with audiolinux OS and MPD as a player. Music stream comes from Qobuz via BubbleUPnP to  upnpdcli renderer.
These days I have seen, that, using Topping E30 as a DAC, without playing music, its big display shows 45.15 after starting up the system. This changes, when music plays. So pretty much the same.
I asked Piero from audiolinux, and he gave me some hints in order to change this.
I'll try an alternative streamer as well.

So clearly the ADI2PRO is not the reason for this behaviour and I have to look elsewhere for a solution. Yet I still would be happy, if the ADI2PRO would support a USB independend SF, even if USB is plugged in.   

Cheers,  Ernst

Cheers, Ernst

Yesterday I replaced the Pi4 audiolinux OS streamer by an AlloUSBbridge running Volumio OS. Even if no audiodata are transmitted, a subsequent DAC receives a 44.1 kHz SF via USB - right after having the OS fully running. This is a step in the desired direction. Cheers, Ernst

Cheers, Ernst