1 (edited by Intini 2022-05-06 04:23:33)

Topic: Help to connect the Fireface UFX+ via USB 3.0

Hi,
I am trying to connect my new Fireface UFX+ to an USB 3.0 port on my Windows PC but I get cracks, pops and CRC errors and bursts of noise. I read about the AsMedia/Intel chipset problem. Can someone tell me if this is the cause of my problems?

My system details are: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, Version 21H2, OS build 19044.1645, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz, 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable), 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. Video card is a NVIDIA RTX2080Ti. 2 SSDs NVMe de 1TB, 6 SSDs SATA de 2TB.

Motherboard is an ASUS  ROG Maximus XI Hero (WI-FI) INTEL Z390 that has:

4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports: 3 x Type-A, 1 x Type-C
2 x USB 2.0 ports
2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 ports

Connecting on the USB 2.0 seems to work fine but the latency is too big to record with plugins.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2 (edited by Intini 2022-05-06 14:53:47)

Re: Help to connect the Fireface UFX+ via USB 3.0

Hi. I tried some new things.
I read further into USB 3 compatibility in the manual. I decided to try connecting the interface to the USB-C port on my NVidia RTX2080Ti and it did work. No errors anymore.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-05-06 15:03:46)

Nice. Don't forget to use disable energy saving in BIOS (C-States and alike) and possibly also in the nVidia card.
Energy Profile high performance or best ultimate performance (which comes from windows workstation versions, can be enabled also for Win10 Pro, google).

BTW .. a collection of URLs with tuning tips you can find here, maybe you find something additional / interesting for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

With this I can achieve this nice performance through USB3: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/

Check whether you have an USB3 port which uses MSI (message signalled interrupts), those are the most efficient working ones. Alternatives are to get a Sonnet card with FL1100 chipset which works phantastic.

But as it works now ... an additional card doesn't seem to be required now.
Only sounds a little strange to me to use / trust an USB3 port on a graphic card wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Intini 2022-05-07 14:42:33)

@ramses, thank you so much for getting back to me.
I too feel stranged to use and trust the USB-C port of my RTX2080Ti indeed!!! But it did work, and I have been testing it for hours now with no errors of any sort. I tried in all sample rates recording on my DAW. I even tried recording on my DAW @ 192 kHz and at the same time playing YouTube videos and iTunes songs - all with different sample rates with no glitches. That was a surprise to me. Even more because I am using a cheap USC-C to USB3 hub from a brand called Tomate (a cheap brand). I bought a 1.8m USB3 to USB-C cable to make a more trustworthy connection - the cable is still in the post. But I am surely going to try and find the Sonnet card you recommended. Do you have the model of the Sonnet card to recomend? I found so many different variations (most USB 3.2 Gen2). I would truly appreciate a model recommendation.

EDIT: I kept testing the UFX+ plugged to the USB-C of the RTX2080Ti for 10h straight (!) while I worked on my DAW the entire time. No errors of any sort indicated in the USB Diagnosis.