Topic: ADI-2 pro / DSP / Sub-integration

Hi RME community!

This is my first post. Hopefully, my post can help not just me but more people in the future.

I am considering purchasing a RME ADI-2 pro unit. I am trying to build my stereo/home theatre in the same living space and these are the different things I would like to achieve:
- Good integration of my 2 Subwoofers (SVS PB 1000 pro) for both my Stereo 2.2 system (in reality 2.1 with 2 subs) and HT
- For Stereo only, Loudness function thanks to the RME pro
- For Stereo only, room EQ to be managed upstream by a MiniDSP SHD Studio (using Dirac) feeding the RME (that I would use as a DAC and a preamp). DSP functionality is the main reason why I need the RME pro unit instead of the standard DAC unit as I need 2 DACs to convert the 4 digital signals output by the MiniDSP. (See MiniDSP schematics below)
- For Stereo only, centralised control of volume managed by RME (controlling both speakers and subs volume)

Here is how I imagine the setup.

https://imgur.com/5dsLHB4

For reference, this is the back of the MiniDSP SHD studio unit, the back of my Sub and also the reference setup for a stereo system shared by MiniDSP for the SHD Studio unit (from their website).

https://imgur.com/qfYQ6tO

https://imgur.com/u1njWnu

And here comes my open questions or potential issues I foresee:

1/ About the centralised control of volume, can I assume that, once the 2 subs integration has been done (crossover, EQ, etc.), the RME pro unit can adjust both and at the same time the volume of the 4 outputs (left, right, sub L, sub R)? i.e. if I increase volume are both all output channels increasing together? My hope is that I don't have to adjust volume separately for output 1/2 (mains) and then 3/4 (subs).
2/ Can I assume that if the DSP part is done upstream (still in the digital domain) via the MiniDSP unit, the loudness management for both 4 channels can still be done smoothly in the RME so I can enjoy both Room EQ (done by MiniDSP/Dirac) and Loudness (done by RME)?
3/ I plan to use a Y RCA cable (2 male-1 female) to connect the Sub-out (aka LFE channel) from my Marantz AVR and one of the Left or Right channels of the RME RCA analog out to the Sub 1 Left or Right In (see diagram). Any issue in doing this? like gain impact, cable limitations in sending/receiving the signals? My plan is to reduce the number of cable as much as possible without affecting too much (if at all) the audio signal.
4/ Can I assume that I can feed at the same time the RME pro with 2 digital signals coming from the MiniDSP unit using the breakout cable (for example "mains" via AES/EBU and "subs" via RCA)?
5/ By using 2 different analog outputs: XLR (feeding the main amp for speakers) and RCA (feeding the active subs), should I expect a difference in output gain (dBs) or phase delays? If so, is it a problem or can it be managed/adjusted by the RME to ensure good sub integration?

Final note, I know I may get rid of the MiniDSP part and do the crossover and EQ adjustments at the subwoofer level directly via the SVS app using different profiles/presets but I find the app quite laggy, it's not as advanced as what Dirac would be able to achieve and it requires a manual change of profile every time I would like to switch from Stereo listening to Home Theater (due to LFE channel).

Thank you a lot in advance

Cheers
Etienne

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-10 06:51:10)

Re: ADI-2 pro / DSP / Sub-integration

• ADI-2 can use AES in for output 1/2 and Coax/Optical for output 3/4 (or vice versa).

• Output 3/4 is the front 1/4” Jack connector only.
(Angled) 1/4” stereo Jack to RCA cables are commonly available, so no problem.
All ADI-2 Pro’s outputs have the same quality, Headphones Output 3/4 can be used as Line signal.

• Back XLR and 1/4” Jack outputs always carry the same signal, output 1/2.

• The Y-cable solution for combining the subs signal from ADI-2 and the AVR does not work.

• ADI-2 can provide internal mono-summing, independent for 1/2 and 3/4.

• Your subs carry a mono signal only.
So using Sub’s left input for ADI-2 Output 3/(4) and Sub’s right input for the Marantz AVR’s LFE would perfectly work.

• ADI-2 Pro’s 1/2 and 3/4 Volume controls can be linked.
An offset (one louder than the other) is possible, even though it might be more practical to use the same nominal Volume for both and do the Mains/Sub balance at the Subs.

• Loudness can be set to work for both 1/2 and 3/4 the same way.

Re: ADI-2 pro / DSP / Sub-integration

Thanks for the reply KaiS! Much appreciated!

To summarise, it seems I can accomplish everything I wanted initially (enjoy both Room EQ, Loudness, centralised volume control, sub integration, and combined stereo/HT setup) with the exception of the following changes:

On the RME pro:
- keep the XLR output 1/2 to drive the mains (no change)
- connect the front 1/4” Jack outputs 3/4 with a Jack to RCA cable to feed my subwoofer #1 (connected to the sub left RCA input channel)
- keep the right RCA input channel for the LFE channel to get input from the AVR
- no need anymore for a RCA Y-cable

Is that correct? Is my setup too complicated, or are there other ways to achieve the same results with less equipment or change in connections between equipment?

Thanks again
Etienne