1 (edited by stacyodellnyc 2022-05-14 21:50:54)

Topic: connecting ADI-2 DAC FS using an Apollo twin and protools

Hi all, I'm new on here and am just about to buy the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for mixing and mastering.
I do not need to record and do not need any inputs...
I currently am using an Apollo Twin and it has no optical out, only optical in.
So, I have a few questions (sorry if they are posted and answered already).

Can the ADI-2 DAC FS be used as an interface?
Just for playback of mixing and mastering directly connected to my mac mini m1?

Do I have to use an interface?

Is there a way to connect via the Apollo?

I see lots of videos and forums... but it's all connected through a babyface. 

Thank you for your responses!
Greatly appreciated!

Re: connecting ADI-2 DAC FS using an Apollo twin and protools

You can connect ADI-2 DAC through USB to your Mac.

The Apollo Twin X doesn’t seem have any digital out, so no connection through that.

KaiS wrote:

You can connect ADI-2 DAC through USB to your Mac.

The Apollo Twin X doesn’t seem have any digital out, so no connection through that.

Will it work well for me just by itself connected via USB, or does it have to be connected via an "interface" like a babyface for example. I want to mix in pro tools and have the d/a quality of the ADI-2 DAC FS. Is it possible? All the videos and forums show it connected through an interface. thank you

I captured these quotes from a RME video. "the dac-fs functions as a normal audio interface" & also "the adi 2 pro fsr is also a very capable class compliant audio interface". I'm a bit confused as on the RME website they a listed under products: Converters. Not under or also under Interfaces... please advise and thank you

Another question i have is: Can I get a RME interface that has the same quality d/a as the ADI-2DAC FS? or is the DI-2DAC FS uniquely better?

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-15 07:01:59)

For the purpose you asked, best quality monitoring only, the ADI-2 DAC is ideal.
As mentioned, USB works for that, without any add like the BabyFace.

If you have monitors with digital inputs, choose the ADI-2 Pro.
DAC doesn’t have digital outs.
Pro adds digital outs, best quality analog ins and a 2nd set of fully independent analog outputs.

If you instead want ins and outs for typical studio recording work like overdubs, choose one of the recording interfaces, e.g. the UFX II.
The basic difference is the support of “TotalMix FX” that allows low latency direct monitoring, essential for instrument and vocal overdubs.

Numerically the recording interfaces have a few dB lower S/N ratio.
Practically this doesn’t matter, as the figures are already way beyond what any source offers.

If you want to use ADI-2 Pro as recording interface, the combination with e.g. BabyFace, or simply the DigiFace USB, indead is mandatory to get TotalMix FX capability.

7 (edited by stacyodellnyc 2022-05-15 15:36:16)

KaiS wrote:

For the purpose you asked, best quality monitoring only, the ADI-2 DAC is ideal.
As mentioned, USB works for that, without any add like the BabyFace.

If you have monitors with digital inputs, choose the ADI-2 Pro.
DAC doesn’t have digital outs.
Pro adds digital outs, best quality analog ins and a 2nd set of fully independent analog outputs.

If you instead want ins and outs for typical studio recording work like overdubs, choose one of the recording interfaces, e.g. the UFX II.
The basic difference is the support of “TotalMix FX” that allows low latency direct monitoring, essential for instrument and vocal overdubs.

Numerically the recording interfaces have a few dB lower S/N ratio.
Practically this doesn’t matter, as the figures are already way beyond what any source offers.

If you want to use ADI-2 Pro as recording interface, the combination with e.g. BabyFace, or simply the DigiFace USB, indead is mandatory to get TotalMix FX capability.

Thank you KaiS! I'm definitely leaning towards using the ADI-2 DAC FS, I just need how to get my set up compatible.
Here's my options:
1.) Get my Apollo Twin mod'd by Blacklion to add a optical out and connect ADI-2 DAC FS to the new optical out 
2.) I can get a different Interface with a digital out on it like the Antelope Audio Zen Go for example
3.) Buy a RME Digiface USB Portable Digital Audio Interface (although I'm not sure how this would work)

what seems best to you?

My understanding is digital out signal is digital out signal... there are not differences in quality from devise to devise. Is that correct? For example the digital out of a RME UCX would be the same as the digital out of a Antelope Audio Zen Go. Is that correct?

I very much appreciate your help and info!

To really help you more information is needed.

Most important:

• What exactly do you want to do?
Mixing, mastering, recording, overdubbing, listening to prerecorded music?

• Do you like and use the UAD plugins?
(That’s why one would usually have an UA Appollo Twin X)

• Do you hesitate connecting ADI-2 via USB, if yes, why?
(You’re still seem to try to circumvent USB).

• What is and should be connected, Speakers, headphones, external amps etc. (make and model).

I'm mixing in the box and mastering in the box as well. I don't really record audio much here and I'm primarily interested in getting a great d/a to my speakers.
my set up is:
Mac mini M1, Mac os Big Sir, protools 2021.12.0, Apollo Twin connected via Thunderbolt, Dynaudio BM5A monitors, Sony MDR-7506 headphones (probably will upgrade soon), 

I don't really care about the UAD plugins as I have a ton others, although I use them occasionally.

I hesitate to connect ADI-2 DUC FS via usb only because I haven't seen it set up that way in any RME or other videos or any forums... so I'm not sure what experience that will be as in latency or any other unknown problems as this product is new to me.

I basically just want simple but clear sounding set up so I can get more detail in my mixing and mastering.

Computer, Interface w/ volume knob (if necessary), d/a and speakers.

ideally I would love if I could just use the ADI-2 DAC FS only and use the volume knob on it...

I really appreciate your time

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-15 16:46:21)

stacyodellnyc wrote:

ideally I would love if I could just use the ADI-2 DAC FS only and use the volume knob on it...

Now we’re on spot.

Simply, yes, ADI-2 DAC connected via USB is clearly the way to go.
I don’t know why you didn’t see a video showing ADI-2 with this connection, but this is the intended standard usage.

You can keep your Apollo or sell it, would only be needed for analog input if you ever need them.
Or as backup, just in case.

Well, I'm glad I did the research here with your help KaiS! So I'm ordering the ADI-2 DAC FS now! I really appreciate all your help!

I use an Apollo X Twin with my RME AADI-2 Pro FS, e.g.,

1. Interface the AD-2 to your Mac via USB (Stereo or Multi CC).
2. In Mac Audio Midi app, set the ADI-2 as the Output device.
3. However, the monitor speakers are connected to the Apollo X Twin Mon L / Mon R.
4. Using TOS/Link cable, connect the ADI-2 Optical Output to the Apollo X Twin Optical In. You must set up the HW for ADAT 1-2 if running 192kHz (S/Mux), or S/P DIF if running 96kHz or lower.
5. In Your DAW (LUNA) setup an input to receive ADAT ½ or SPDIF.
6. That allows you play or record in your DAW.
7. The Apollon X Twin can run in Stand-alone mode if needed. In Stand-alone, it behaves more like a concummer stereo unit but with 'top=drawer' specs.

Hope this helps.

Billy

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

Hi grievousangel, I have since created an aggregate using Apollo as in and RME as out. It works. As far as I can tell AD-2 doesn't have a Optical out... only optical inputs