1 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-12 23:04:04)

Topic: Where can I buy the Babyface pro FS ?

No stock in the world until 2023....

2 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-05-12 23:12:12)

Re: Where can I buy the Babyface pro FS ?

bhphotovideo.com has them in stock (in the USA)

it's where I got mine as well as my UCXII. fantastic retailer, can't recommend enough

3 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-12 23:13:28)

I'm in Europe, can't buy it in the USA....
My shop told me not before 2023....
It will be sad if I'm forced to buy the MOtU Ultralite MK5....

ah, dang. I know very little about international transactions. I've ordered things from Germany but don't have any personal experience with VAT. is that why you can't order from the US? wouldn't you just pay the VAT when it enters Europe?

just curious.

-Steve

TonyJ wrote:

interestingly, the motu is on backorder over here

sbcrikey wrote:
TonyJ wrote:

interestingly, the motu is on backorder over here

My shop told me I can have the MOTU MK5 ultralite in 7 days, but for the Babyface pro FS, not before 2023....

7 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-12 23:22:43)

sbcrikey wrote:

ah, dang. I know very little about international transactions. I've ordered things from Germany but don't have any personal experience with VAT. is that why you can't order from the US? wouldn't you just pay the VAT when it enters Europe?

just curious.

-Steve

I have to pay at least +300€ for the taxes from the USA....

EDIT : after trying, the ship is restricted to my country, France....

TonyJ wrote:
sbcrikey wrote:

just curious.

-Steve

wow, that's steep. sorry man. what if you had a cousin send it to you as a gift?

sbcrikey wrote:
TonyJ wrote:
sbcrikey wrote:

just curious.

-Steve

wow, that's steep. sorry man. what if you had a cousin send it to you as a gift?

I have no cousin in the USA, I will try to find a used one here in Europe...or I will go with MOTU....no choice, I have to start my project in June.

how is the FIREFACE UCX II - RME about the latency ? better than the babyface pro FS ? I can order this one for august.

I've had no latency problems but have never measured/compared the two. they're both great units. if you even think you need the additional inputs, definitely consider the UCXII. plus, the DURec standalone recording as a backup is fantastic!

12 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-12 23:36:02)

sbcrikey wrote:

I've had no latency problems but have never measured/compared the two. they're both great units. if you even think you need the additional inputs, definitely consider the UCXII. plus, the DURec standalone recording as a backup is fantastic!

I don't need at all the inputs, I need an RME USB interface, I can't buy one....no stock.

TonyJ wrote:
sbcrikey wrote:

I don't need at all the inputs, I need an RME USB interface, I can't buy one....no stock.

don't forget that the UCXII is also USB

14 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-13 19:46:35)

ok thanks, so no solution to find one Babyface pro FS ?

online like Thomann, music house etc mention somewhere between end May and end Aug when they're availavle again

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

16 (edited by TonyJ 2022-05-13 20:23:11)

fieldstu wrote:

online like Thomann, music house etc mention somewhere between end May and end Aug when they're availavle again

Thomann not before 3 months, but in fact it's like the others dealers, it's january 2023

I have to start my project in June, I don't know what to do, I need the lowest latency possible with my vsts.

For now take another brand until you can buy the RME?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

fieldstu wrote:

For now take another brand until you can buy the RME?

what brand with the same low latency :

at 48khz  64 samples :
in : 1.667ms
out : 2.167ms
Total = 3.834

at 48khz  128 samples :
in : 3.000ms
out : 3.500ms
Total = 6.500ms

Unsure if all RME devices have similar low latency, but if you’d stay RME maybe another interface like Firefave or otherwise digiface USB and extend it with ad / da converter. If away from RME I personally like motu

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

20 (edited by ramses 2022-05-13 21:44:09)

The products have similar low latency, see some of the products that I used.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2343-ufx-ufx-raydat-latencies-v2-jpg/

In the rightmost colums you see RTL values of combinations of interfaces
- RayDAT (pure digital card) and an UFX as preamp in standalone mode
- HDSPe MADI FX and Octamic XTC through MADI

As you can see all solutions offer very good latencies.
ASIO buffer sizes can be chosen up to 128 samples @44.1 kHz to still have a RTL below 10ms.

Note: the values here are not 100% compareable with yours as you used 48kHz sample rate, I use 44.1 kHz.
With higher sample rates the converter latency and thus RTL (round trip latency) is a little bit lower.
But the impact is much lower compared to using different ASIO buffersizes.
I only wanted to mention it. You can see the converter latencies as well in the image above.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thank you, there is no usb interface from RME in stock, like the babyface pro FS or UCX 2...
That's why I need to find another brand.
I really need the lowest latency possible.

If you can wait, then wait. IMHO there are no other products available with that features / value.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Have you worked with low latency devices before? Many will do well under 10ms which is the benchmark for being able to feel latency (we are not all the same though) if you are starting in June then you will have to go this route. Take a look at gearspace where they have tables of latency for different audio interfaces. By the way I see no reason why other rme interfaces would have more latency than the Babyface pro fs.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Have you worked with low latency devices before? Many will do well under 10ms which is the benchmark for being able to feel latency (we are not all the same though) if you are starting in June then you will have to go this route. Take a look at gearspace where they have tables of latency for different audio interfaces. By the way I see no reason why other rme interfaces would have more latency than the Babyface pro fs.

I had the babyface pro FS and I don't want more latency, only better.
3.6 ms with 64 samples is nice for my use, more I can't record well.

TonyJ wrote:
mkok wrote:

I don't understand you, what does this mean ? More of what ?!

I showed you already that the RTL of different RME solutions is very similar.
Newer converters only differ little in latency and converter latency compared to ASIO buffersize is much smaller.

So .. the only possibility to get lower latencies is
1. to use a smaller ASIO buffersize, the USB driver has 48 samples as lowest value at single speed (44.1/48 kHz)
2. to get another recording interface which uses the newer USB MADIface driver which has 32 samples as lowest value,
    similar to the HDSPe driver for PCIe cards

Using higher sample rates makes converter latency a little smaller, but this is only a little.
But it increases the system load and the likeliness for audio drops if your projects are already so complex / or the system so loaded, that you can't use 48 samples on your machine.

An example for recording interface with MADIface driver, e.g.: UFX II and UFX+.

ramses wrote:
TonyJ wrote:
mkok wrote:

I don't understand you, what does this mean ? More of what ?!

I showed you already that the RTL of different RME solutions is very similar.
Newer converters only differ little in latency and converter latency compared to ASIO buffersize is much smaller.

So .. the only possibility to get lower latencies is
1. to use a smaller ASIO buffersize, the USB driver has 48 samples as lowest value at single speed (44.1/48 kHz)
2. to get another recording interface which uses the newer USB MADIface driver which has 32 samples as lowest value,
    similar to the HDSPe driver for PCIe cards

Using higher sample rates makes converter latency a little smaller, but this is only a little.
But it increases the system load and the likeliness for audio drops if your projects are already so complex / or the system so loaded, that you can't use 48 samples on your machine.

An example for recording interface with MADIface driver, e.g.: UFX II and UFX+.

more latence than the babyface pro, I don't want.
I will find the UCX2, stock in august.