Topic: Can I use line outs on the rear of the UCX as headphone out?

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of using my Fireface UCX for live routing, recording and ear-monitoring during busking.
I am planning to use an external 12V DC battery to power the unit during busking.

We have three members so we need to connect three earphones to the UCX. However, there is only one phones out on the front end of the UCX. Is it possible to use the line outs on the rear end of the unit as headphone out? For example, can I use adapters to plug into the balanced 1, 2 and 3, 4 6.3mm TRS line out and convert them into two 3.5mm headphone out?
Can I use balanced line out as unbalanced phones out?

Or is a headphone amp necessary in this case? That case I would have to get another DC battery for the headphone amp itself.

Many thanks!

Re: Can I use line outs on the rear of the UCX as headphone out?

have you tried it? I doubt you'll be satisfied with the sound or performance of your headphones because the rear outs are only line level. you will need amplification to drive the headphones to perform. the good news is that there are several units that offer 2, 4 or even 8 pairs of headphone outs so you'd also be future-proof if your gig ever needs more than three phones.

btw, what is "busking"?

sbcrikey wrote:

have you tried it? I doubt you'll be satisfied with the sound or performance of your headphones because the rear outs are only line level. you will need amplification to drive the headphones to perform. the good news is that there are several units that offer 2, 4 or even 8 pairs of headphone outs so you'd also be future-proof if your gig ever needs more than three phones.

btw, what is "busking"?

I have tried using a Dual 6.35mm Male to 4pin XLR Female balanced Adapter, and it sounds OK to me, but that's balanced to balanced.
I wonder if it will work when it is balanced to unbalanced instead...

Busking simply means street performing, we grab our guitars and keyboards onto the street and play music.
Normally we would only plug our cables and mics into a speaker and start, but I want to make it sound better and make use of the onboard DSP of the Fireface UCX, and perhaps record our live performance as well.
That's why I need batteries to power the Fireface UCX, and I probably have to buy another pack of battery for an extra headphone amp. Turns out electricity is the most annoying part of this!

4 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-05-16 18:50:52)

Fishie wrote:

Busking simply means street performing, we grab our guitars and keyboards onto the street and play music.
Normally we would only plug our cables and mics into a speaker and start, but I want to make it sound better and make use of the onboard DSP of the Fireface UCX, and perhaps record our live performance as well.
That's why I need batteries to power the Fireface UCX, and I probably have to buy another pack of battery for an extra headphone amp. Turns out electricity is the most annoying part of this!

cool. thanks for explaining about busking. neat smile

wonder if self powered headphone amps would do? maybe even just single channel units:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/254234 … _wQAvD_BwE

an all in one/self-contained solution like that might be better for your situation? I'm sure you might even be able to find a wireless solution. I image fewer cords would be better in a live/street environment!

Good luck, Fishie!

-Steve