Topic: Setting up the studio for a Studer 16 channel mixer

Hello users of RME converters

May I ask here for some advice regarding the change to a hybrid solution including a 16 channel analogue mixing desk, 16 balanced outs, 16 mic/line ins.
As I want to think everything out and change to RME as my brand of choice, before spending (for me) so much money. I need it to be sustainable and expandable, so I sure want to go for MADI or AVB. First I thought about the M-1610pro and a Madiface but with that solution I'd lack 8 analogue outs. What a pitty, a nearly all-in-one box would have been perfect. And to be quite honest, getting a RME M-32 DA Pro, RME M-32 AD Pro, and a MADI to USB interface would be a financial overkill.

What would you do? Is there any workaround imaginable to this specific application? I need to send from Cubase to the desk and record back to cubase with the possibility to monitor the desk/converter with my speakers, I run 4 and a Mixcube but at least 2 outs would be great. For tracking with the desk the M1610 would be adequat, but what about mixing, summing.

Thanks in advance, I really would enjoy being able join the RME family...

Re: Setting up the studio for a Studer 16 channel mixer

I also would have preferred a 16 IN/OUT version, even in a "package" like the M32-Pro with the "light organ".

It's easier to ignore 8 outputs if you do not need them instead of having to buy M-32 Pro AD and M-32 Pro DA.
Makes also more sense to have such a M-16 Pro AD/DA, then you can start with 16 analog I/O and as soon as you really need 32x I/O you can easily buy a 2nd box.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I also would have preferred a 16 IN/OUT version, even in a "package" like the M32-Pro with the "light organ".

It's easier to ignore 8 outputs if you do not need them instead of having to buy M-32 Pro AD and M-32 Pro DA.
Makes also more sense to have such a M-16 Pro AD/DA, then you can start with 16 analog I/O and as soon as you really need 32x I/O you can easily buy a 2nd box.

This. Exactly what would get new people to RME, just like me too... What did you do? And how do you monitor?

At the moment the analog INs/OUTs of the UFX+ are sufficient, but if some more devices come on top, then I would like to have 16/16 for a more flexible use.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

16 I/O would make a lot of sense for Atmos environments. Quite a few studios getting Atmos setups atm.