Topic: Question re Audio Routing - Total Mix & Omnisphere

A very basic question that I should know the answer to, but don't:

I want to have 4 audio outputs from Omnisphere, and each output should feed into a different Software Playback stereo pair in TotalMix. So I right-clicked on Omnisphere, chose Activate Outputs, and then activated stereo outputs A thru D. Then, in Omnisphere's Multi section, I set the top 4  instruments to send audio to outputs A thru D, respectively.

So far, so good.

But no matter which of the 4 Omnisphere outputs an instrument is set to, the audio always goes to TotalMix's AN 1/2 Software Playback channel. How can I set up TotalMix so that:

Omnisphere's Output B sends to TotalMix's Software Playback AN 3/4
Omnisphere's Output C sends to TotalMix's Software Playback AN 5/6
Omnisphere's Output D sends to TotalMix's Software Playback AN 7/8

Another way of posing this question would be to ask: Why is Omnisphere's audio feeding into Software Playback AN 1/2 in the first place? Why not some other Software Playback channel?

Thank you.

PS: I'm using Windows 10, with Omnisphere as a VSTi in Cubase 12.

Re: Question re Audio Routing - Total Mix & Omnisphere

https://support.spectrasonics.net/manua … ted-page14

If you're using Omnisphere as a plugin in Cubase, then you should route to different outputs in cubase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gs6Nwxzn8

These took 5 seconds to google. I'm sure you can find more..

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Thank you; however, neither of those links really addressed my question.

The first dealt with Omnisphere STANDALONE. The second was about Cubase, but not TotalMix.

When I play a sound through Omnisphere (as a VSTi), the audio is routed to TM's Software Playback AN 1/2, as seen in that channel's meter. I don't understand why the audio goes to that channel, or how to make it go to a different channel instead. If I did, I would know how to solve my issue.

I'm sure this has to be something very basic, but sometimes I have a blind spot regarding inputs/outputs.

4 (edited by bsfreq 2022-05-23 01:03:12)

Hangdog Cat wrote:

The second was about Cubase, but not TotalMix.

Exactly. You have to route your audio correctly inside omnisphere and cubase first. The youtube link shows how to do this in cubase with another vst. You can google for more tutorials..
Software playback row in TMFX means the "hardware outputs" shown in Cubase. You have to route from cubase to your interface output 3/4, to see the audio in software out 3/4 of totalmix. And from there you can route to your interface's hardware outputs using TMFX..  Software playback row is just an additional layer in between your daw outputs and harware outs of your interface. Cubase doesn't know of this extra layer, and assumes these are already the hardware outs.
But again, first you need to get audio from cubase to show in TMFX software playback row correctly. So if you only see audio in software playback 1/2, your routing in cubase incorrect. You should start there..

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

I think I finally have this figured out.

I needed to configure additional stereo output buses in Cubase (F4), then route the additional Omnisphere outputs I created over to those Cubase Output buses (in the Cubase MixConsole's Routing section).

Now I just need to figure out how to do this in Synfire. I'll report back if I'm successful...not getting my hopes up.

Thanks for your help.