1 (edited by RexRed 2022-05-22 19:26:30)

Topic: RME Fireface UXC II slows down my DAW

I have Windows 11, an I9 12 core CPU, 64gb of fast ram, and an RTX 3090 GPU.

I use the Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW.

When I turn off my RME interface and insert a blank audio track into Cakewalk it happens instantaneously
When I turn on the Fireface interface it takes a few seconds for the track to insert.

Why does this happen?

Shouldn't the ports all be resident in the ram?

When I add a second audio track the same thing happens it takes a few seconds for it to insert.

Cakewalk is installed on a M.2 drive and my Cakewalk content projects are on a solid state Samsung drive.

Any help on this, thanks in advance!

2 (edited by ramses 2022-05-22 21:13:43)

Re: RME Fireface UXC II slows down my DAW

Did you cross check with a demo version of another DAW (Reaper, Cubase).
What RME driver and firmware is in use?
Is Bandlab fully compatible with Windows 11 ?
Do you have a Windows 10 installation to check whether this might be a Windows 11 issue ?!
Are the new security features enabled on this Windows 11 version? They said the new security design slows everything down, why a little bit older CPUs are descoped / not compliant with Win11.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello Ramses,

What makes me think it is a RME driver issue is when I hook up one of my Behringer UMC 1620 interfaces in ASIO mode audio tracks are added instantaneously. Also my onboard Realtek sound device does not have the issue either.

That pretty much rules out Bandlab, and Windows 11.

And the REM firmware I am using is the latest as well as the driver.

Windows, Cakewalk or security may have a problem with the RME driver but it does not have a problem with the Behringer or Realtek.

This hesitancy is quite prevalent in Cakewalk when using the RME Fireface UCX II interface.

I would really like a solution to this, it is quite a problem.

I love my RME device and its sound quality is second to none but this problem is an issue.

A lot to shell out to have to deal with this.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and now has a ton of users, besides, it is a full featured DAW that I have been using since MSDOS. Please test this out RME.

4 (edited by RexRed 2022-05-23 00:44:04)

I own a copy of MixCraft 9 and I tried the RME device with that DAW and the tracks insert instantaneous.

So it must be a problem with RME drivers and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Please mention the version numbers of DAW, driver, firmware explicitly for RME support, so that it is clear at any time what is installed on your computer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Works fine with Cubase. I tried the bandlab cakewalk and found it a bit hit and miss. Reaper definitely works better. I stick with Cubase though as I’ve used it since Atari days. Is cakewalk fully supported these days and has it been updated recently?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

7 (edited by RexRed 2022-05-23 18:20:35)

The version number of the Cakewalk DAW is the latest version.
My RME Fireface has been running hot, like "really" hot.
I just went to unscrew the case of the RME interface so maybe I could
give the device some breathing room and they use soft aluminum screws...
They strip when you try to unscrew them.

I managed to get 9 of them out, every screw stripped and one I will have to drill clean through to remove it.

This interface is unlike any I have tried and it is a must have for the work that I do but the "massive" heat it puts off and this problem with my DAW has made me wonder about other options.

Couldn't this heat problem somehow have been addressed?

8 (edited by ramses 2022-05-23 18:29:55)

Regarding version numbers: "last version" is no valid version number, use explicit numbers.
If Cakewalk should bring out an update this information is soon invalid.

Regarding heat, what temperature are you talking about? What feels already uncomfortably for our sensitive skin/fingers (>45°C) is nothing severe for electronic. Some CPUs run already around 80-90°C.

What is your room temperature ? Do you have a little airflow around the UCX II ? How did you set it up, is anything obstructing airflow above, below or next to the unit ? Do you have a picture of it?

I wouldn't open the case as then you loose warranty.
If screws broke its very much likely that you used the wrong tools.

Sounds unusual, that RME driver should slow down an application regarding addition of tracks.
I just tried UFX+ and Cubase 12.0.20. I know its a different driver and unit, but .. absolutely no lag.
I have a certain suspicion that Cakewalk might be the reason, if other ("major" / commercial) DAWs do not have the issue as mkok pointed out.

9 (edited by ramses 2022-05-23 18:31:32)

RexRed wrote:

I own a copy of MixCraft 9 and I tried the RME device with that DAW and the tracks insert instantaneous.
So it must be a problem with RME drivers and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

More likely a problem of Cakewalk if other DAWs do not have the issue.
The forum would be full of such reports, if there would be a major problem with the RME ASIO driver.

hi Rex,

do you have adequate space above and below the UCXII? I don't have mine rackmounted and have left it on for several hours and I can't say it gets hot. warm to the touch but not surprisingly so.

you could also look to get a cooling fan if it is really that hot. I even use a small 5 volt fan on mine when I'm at home.

-Steve

11 (edited by RexRed 2022-05-23 20:37:37)

ramses wrote:

Regarding version numbers: "last version" is no valid version number, use explicit numbers.
If Cakewalk should bring out an update this information is soon invalid.

Cakewalk Version 2022.02 (Build 039 64 bit)