Topic: Pitch on a thunderbolt mac with UFX+

I can't find the excellent Pitch function. It is the only thing I miss from working with a 24 track analog machine, true varispeed. Is pitch only for thunderbolt equipped PC:s?

Re: Pitch on a thunderbolt mac with UFX+

If I remember right the reason is, that due to the high amount of channels a certain USB3 transfer mode has to be used which doesn't support such a feature.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

What a pity, I,ve been longing for this kind of function for years and years... Maybe they can program an alternative Firewire driver that doen't support MADI that you can use for this purpose? That would have been great!

4 (edited by ramses 2022-05-25 12:10:40)

Firewire ? You do not have Firewire ports on the UFX+.

As the UFX+ can also run in USB2 mode without MADI SW playback channels a feasible solution might be
- to add UFX+ USB2 support to the old USB driver, but it is very unlikely that this would happen.
- to add a special "USB2 mode" in the newer MADIface driver using the old/other USB transport mode (if it should be exclusively that whats required and not much more) but at least this would create big efforts and would make the driver more complicated which is never a good thing ... we all like stability not too many special cases ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, thank you for your thoughts! Sorry, I meant Thunderbolt, firewire was some years ago...

I will try to make myself a little more clear. In my studio I write, produce and mix music, I don’t need the extra MADI in/outs for now.

If high channel count was the reason they couldn’t incorporate the Pitch function, they could do an alternate driver with no MADI but with Pitch! I just came from Antelope and I really appreciate the stability of the RME drivers but they are such driver wizards so maybe they could do this alternate driver for us poor varispeed hungry mac-users:-)

6 (edited by ramses 2022-05-25 14:29:57)

Thunderbolt has pitch support. At least for Windows, not sure about Apple, check manual.

That's exacly the reason I make this post. I can't find Pitch for Mac OS in the manual. And I'm wondering why?

Apple uses a timer based audio system (CoreAudio) no matter what interface type. And that one doesn't like pitch and varispeed. They improved that over the years, but it will never pitch as it can do on a Windows machine with PCI/PCIe and ASIO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME