Topic: MADIface Pro USB - Am I limited to channels 1-32?

Hi all,

I have a MADIface Pro USB, connected to an SSL Alphalink 24 SX via MADI, and I have a Lavry DA10 on channels 25-26 (of the SSL) via AES for main outs. The RME gives me another 4 in/4 out, too, of course.

I'm using many of the 24 analog ins/outs currently - I don't use too many of the connections at the same time.

I'm thinking of buying another set of converters - 16 in and 16 out, giving me 48 in/out (plus the extra ins/outs on the MADIface). I'd plan to use these outputs 25-48 for analog summing when mixing (I'll have to 'move' my Lavry from 25-26!).

I also work at 96KHz a lot, so the track count is reduced to 32 in/out, which is plenty of simultaneous streams!

My question is: as long as I'm not trying to simultaneously stream 32 in/out at the same time (via USB2), is there any problem with having all these things connected and using the higher channel 'numbers'? Could I add another Alphalink 24 SX and have Channels 1-24 analog for one purpose, and channels 25-48 for another purpose, as long as I'm not trying to stream all channels at once?

Or am I only able to use channels 1-32 @ 96KHz?

It would simply be like having a bigger desk, routed/controlled by TotalMix, but knowing I can't stream more than 32 in/out at the same time (absolutely fine).

Hope this wasn't too confusing - many thanks!

Ed

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

Re: MADIface Pro USB - Am I limited to channels 1-32?

With a higher sample rate you need to process more data.
The higher bandwidth is being achieved by multiplexing
- two channels for double speed and
- four channels for quad speed

So if you use single, double or quad speed, then you end up having 64 / 32 / 16 channels through MADI.
Same as with ADAT: 8 / 4 / 2 channels depending on the sample rate.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by The Beatsmith 2022-06-17 22:04:03)

Thanks - but perhaps my question is not clear - am I able to use e.g. outputs 33-48 when @ 96KHz?

Is the 32 channel limitation purely based on the amount of channels at once, not the actual channel numbers?

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

Those output channels are dead at that sample rate on a Mac. On Windows they are even removed completely, as you can clearly see in TM FX on a Mac as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah, so it's as I feared. That's a shame. Thanks.

The Beatsmith wrote:

Ah, so it's as I feared. That's a shame. Thanks.

With MADI devices, the routing to the MADI channels is configured locally and the settings including routing can be saved in different setups.

I would create two setups, one with a routing for single speed, another for double speed.
Then you can easily recall the settings with the routing that you need depending on the sample rate in use.

Wouldn't that solve your issue ?
In your DAW it should also be possible to create template projects with the proper settings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by The Beatsmith 2022-06-19 01:06:47)

Sorry, I don't quite understand!

ramses wrote:

With MADI devices, the routing to the MADI channels is configured locally and the settings including routing can be saved in different setups.

Do you mean locally as in, with Totalmix?

ramses wrote:

I would create two setups, one with a routing for single speed, another for double speed. Then you can easily recall the settings with the routing that you need depending on the sample rate in use.

If I can't do it at 96KHz, then I probably wouldn't bother with the setup.

Wouldn't that solve your issue ?
In your DAW it should also be possible to create template projects with the proper settings.

I'm not quite sure :-)

Essentially I want 48 physical connections and be able to choose which ones are being routed audio, at 96KHz, but I'll never be using more than 18 or 26 outputs at once (16 or 24 out for summing + 2 for main outs). So I wouldn't be pushing the bandwidth of USB2/MADI, but it's more of a routing thing.

Are you saying there's some magic I could set up in Totalmix to enable me to do this?

Perhaps a snapshot where 32-48 are renamed/reconfigured as e.g. 1-16, or some of the channels are hidden?

Thinking about it, the RME's outputs are 1-4, so that's already pushed my channel account to 30, before buying any new converters...

If I disable certain channels in totalmix (e.g. outputs 1-4 on the MADIface pro), does this mean that I could free up some channels save a snapshot of this configuration, technically achieving what I want?

Sorry if I'm not quite 'getting it'!

Ed

P.S. Apologies if this should have been in the USB forum.