Topic: Using RME 802 with 3 ADAT?

Hi.

I am currently using my RME 802 setup like this:

Adat 1 input takes 8 channels in from Focusrite October Adat.
Adat 2 output send 8 channels out to my Expert Sleepers interface to sync my Modular.

Is it possible to use my empty Adat 2 inputs to get another 8 inputs if a get a second preamp or will in not work splitting the Adat 2 port for in and out to different interfaces?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-06-19 09:35:47)

Re: Using RME 802 with 3 ADAT?

ADAT inputs and outputs are two different ports, why else would there be 2 connectors?

So with this unit you have two ADAT inputs and two ADAT outputs.

> Is it possible to use my empty Adat 2 inputs to get another 8 inputs

Sure.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

ADAT inputs and outputs are two different ports, why else would there be 2 connectors?

So with this unit you have two ADAT inputs and two ADAT outputs.

> Is it possible to use my empty Adat 2 inputs to get another 8 inputs

Sure.

I got the impression that both are needed to keep the signal in sync for audio. Is that not so? Or should I select device that only send audio as the master?

It depends on what ways are there to sync the preamp(s)...If they have word clock input then you are lucky. With only ADAT input you might indeed loose one ADAT output as you have to use that one as sync source.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It depends on what ways are there to sync the preamp(s)...If they have word clock input then you are lucky. With only ADAT input you might indeed loose one ADAT output as you have to use that one as sync source.

Well maybe I am lucky. My Focusrite have a wordclock bnc so guess that solves it whatever device I get. I had also some thought about getting s second 802. I read that it is possible to use three 802s. How do I connect more than one 802 to the same mac?