Topic: MIDI Control Of Channels

Currently, I'm using MIDI to control the fader levels of 2 SW Playback Channels, as per;

MIDI channel 5, CC 102 or 103, with values of 0 or 104 (to lower the fader to its lowest post or return it to 0db) and this works fine for the purposes of my testing. However, those 2 channels are used for sending audio to various IEM mixes, at differing levels, and so using MIDI to control the faders in this way isn't practical (for a host of other reasons too).

So, the most efficient solution would just be to MIDI mute those channels via the mute button on that channel strip; can I find the CC/Note On/Note Off parameters to do that???

Has anyone performed MIDI mute at channel strip level in this fashion? It could possibly work via global mute group but I want to avoid this at all costs if I can.

For reference, I'm using a FF800 with TotalMix.

Re: MIDI Control Of Channels

if you cant see midi mute CC in the latest manual you are probably out of luck.. i tried this a while back and got frustrated by it and unless RME have updated drivers or something and i haven't noticed its probably the same..

the only way i could get any channel mute over CC was to hack around the Mackie control map which is cumbersome to use in a generic midi context and i concluded it to be not worth it.. 

other options is maybe use a snapshot ? i think they are available although this means every time you change your mix you gotta update the snapshot which is messy solution... otherwise OSC has direct channel mute and also mute groups.. what device are you trying to send the midi from ?

ebulb wrote:

if you cant see midi mute CC in the latest manual you are probably out of luck.. i tried this a while back and got frustrated by it and unless RME have updated drivers or something and i haven't noticed its probably the same..

It seems like such a bizarre attitude from RME, to constantly update the drivers, to allow legacy kit to use the latest TotalMix, but to provide relatively simple functionality to give MIDI control that devices from the 90s/00s had as standard.

I use an Airstep, from XSonic, and that can send just about every type of MIDI message you can imagine, and others like HiD, so I've worked out rather vulgar hacks to perform what I needed to do. The same solution on my X32 is 2 CC commands, the RME solution uses MIDI and HiD and as a result TotalMix has to be the fore-front window on my laptop at all times for the work-around to function.

4 (edited by ebulb 2022-06-23 09:49:32)

i agree.. I love the fundamental performance of my UFX but I am often restricted by the limited midi and OSC implementation.. OSC is better than midi but still has limitations which can make things difficult..

if you are on PC, there is a small utility from Justin (Reaper) called OSCii bot which allows you to interface between midi and OSC devices.. this might enable you to convert your pedal midi to OSC (which Totalmix has better implementation for) and streamline your setup..

OSCii requires some basic scripting but there may be a few existing scripts already for midi/OSC conversions so even if you aren't great with scripting you may be able to get it working by looking at existing examples, which I did something similar.