Topic: OS Monterey & UFX+ crash

Running an RME UFX+ with a Burl Mothership as its clock source on a 2017 Intel based iMac. I've found a number of posts on this forum that relate to silicon HW but none specifically relating to Intel, so please steer me in the right direction if this post is redundant.

Yesterday I upgraded the OS to Monterey and since the computer crashes every time I attempt to change the audio driver settings. I suspected this was an issue with the Mac OS kernel extensions but per RME support's recommendation, I've gone through the process of de-installing the RME drivers, rebooting to Recovery mode, and entering the "panic medic boot command" listed elsewhere on this forum (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277). I also attempted this process (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462) as well as the process described here (https://rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html)

The panic medic boot command did successfully reveal the coveted "approve" button that had previously been invisible in the Mac Security & Privacy settings. That was promising but then even after approval and subsequent reboot, I'm still having the same issue of the computer freezing and then auto restarting as soon as I attempt to assign the audio driver to RME via system preferences or DAW settings. Total mix and the RME Thunderbolt settings both open and function as before so the issue seems to arise with the process of assigning the UFX+ as my audio driver.

I've tried to change the driver from within multiple applications (Ableton, ProTools, system preferences --> audio) and that when I keep the interface turned off I am able to playback audio from all sources. Any input is much appreciated.

Re: OS Monterey & UFX+ crash

A few additional notes since my original post - one, the USB 3.0 connection works fine so that confirms that the RME driver is being recognized by the interface as it should be, at least on the USB side. And two, I've ruled out thunderbolt cabling gone bad as a potential source of the issue. The thunderbolt ports are not suspect either, as they work fine with other peripheral devices.

So to streamline the issue: my UFX+ is recognized by the RME driver on the computer such that I can set sample rate etc but as soon as I go to assign the RME as the audio source via System preferences or internally from the DAW, the computer freezes and crashes. I've been using RME interfaces for the past 15 years or so and have never had a single hardware issue. Rock solid. I suppose it's possible there was a failure of my TB on the RME hardware side that happened at the exact same moment as the software update, but that feels like a stretch.

Given the proliferation of issues that more recent OS security measures have caused with RME drivers (I'm basing this on what I've read in numerous other forum posts, including those posted by RME and linked in the post above), I tend to suspect some misfire on the software side. Any input or experience with TB issues on RME interfaces would be helpful.

Driver version? Firmware version of the UFX+? You have both USB and TB drivers installed? If  so please provide both version numbers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply. The driver/firmware versions are...
    USB = v3.27 and firmware v54
    TB = v1.13 and firmware v110

I downloaded the USB after repeated failure with the TB connection in an effort to isolate the issue. I unplug whatever cable I'm not using as I attempt to connect one way or the other.

The UFX+ itself says software version 46 on the HW screen and Total Mix is version 1.75.

Is it worth trying v1.21 of the driver? If so, should I uninstall first or just do a TB driver or flash update?

There is no newer firmware. Please try driver 1.21 as installation over the existing one. Though the issue (computer crashes every time I attempt to change the audio driver settings) seems very strange - haven't heard of that before. You might try a different TB cable and port (if available) on the computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok it worked to revert to 1.21 so there's some glitch with my system with regard to the latest firmware. I have tested both TB ports, multiple cables, and successfully run other peripheral TB devices so I can definitively say those are not the issue.

So I know, if this issue is one that ends up being worthwhile for you to address in a future driver or firmware update, would the .readme file included with the update be the place I should look to see if it's addressed? I'm wondering if you post those updates elsewhere or if downloading the package for the .readme is the way I can keep an eye on whether or not I ought to attempt a future update.

Otherwise I plan to stay with 1.21 as long as it continues to work. Huge relief. Thank you for the help.

Tree&Booms wrote:

Ok it worked to revert to 1.21

You did not revert but updated. 1.13 is older than 1.21.

Tree&Booms wrote:

so there's some glitch with my system with regard to the latest firmware

The firmware did not change, so this statement makes no sense.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am having this EXACT issue. 

I have the newest firmware and thunderbolt drivers.  I just updated to Monterey 12.5 today. If I try to set it as my audio interface for OSX it freezes and restarts my computer.  I uninstalled my UFX+ and reinstalled Monterey and it does not help. I have not tried USB 3.0