1 (edited by 3phase 2022-06-27 14:16:23)

Topic: Older rme software that has rme own midi drivers, for babyface pro?

I just learned that the class compliant midi of the new drivers suffer from apple internal bugs or missing functionality
Are there older drivers and rom versions that still contain rme internal midi, before turning class compliant?

Would it be possible to "downgrade" a babyface pro FS to that older version with rme midi drivers?
And what would that version be ? And have there been significant audio improvements since that version of drivers?
Since class compliant midi don't has benefits for me I might be better off with older software versions? But them don't run on new Mac OS versions, right?

so the legendary rme midi stability is down the drain now?  That comes as a shock for me

Are there work arounds with older driver versions that happen too be compatible with m1 Macs too? Hope dies last.
thanks for any hints

Re: Older rme software that has rme own midi drivers, for babyface pro?

I took the effort to measure the midi jitter on the actual Mac OS with class compliant midi interfaces. It measures actually very good.. like 2004 good.. and has seen much worse times in the last years where you really didn't wanted the osx mid for clock output..in the max it went as bad as on windows pc with +/- 2,5 ms clock jitter.. Now its back to a good 0,15 ms..what brings it close to the legendary Atari clock performance from around 0,1 ms clock jitter..but not as good as a mpc 3000 with just 1-2 samples clock jitter..

So as long it stays like this, the class compliant mode is not totally down the drain, its actually pretty good when you take the time to calibrate your daw again and again after any launch.. What is really a painful act and a spontaneity killer.. and it could happen again that apple don't puts enough attention to its core midi service, and brings the jitter back.

Lets hope for the best, and a future where midi just works as back in the 80´s.. like solid and predictable, as intended by the inventors.. a midi 2.0 that is around 10 times faster and more precise wouldn't hurt too.