Topic: FIREFACE 802 + TC Electronic Clarity M + digital monitors + ARC

Hi,

I'm having trouble with setting up TC Electronic Clarity M with my current setup: Fireface 802 + ARC + monitors with digital inputs.

I use AES/EBU out to connect my monitors (Main out in TotalMixFX) , ADAT2 out in AES/SPDIF mode to connect TC Clarity M and ARC to control the volume. Everything works but everytime I change the volume it affects the signal volume going out to TC Clarity... Which makes it impossible to reliably measure program loudness on it. Is there a way to separate signals going out to my monitors and to TC Clarity?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-07-01 05:26:43)

Re: FIREFACE 802 + TC Electronic Clarity M + digital monitors + ARC

That's no problem at all.
In TM FX each HW output has its individual submix.
Click on HW output AES, set the faders of HW inputs and SW playbacks as you need them.
Click on HW output ADAT2, set the faders of HW inputs and SW playbacks as you need them.
EDIT: and finally adjust the output volume on the HW output as needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I will try to do that, I'm new to the TotalMix smile I'd appreciate more detailed tips on how to do it.

Thanks!

ramses wrote:

That's no problem at all.
In TM FX each HW output has its individual submix.
Click on HW output AES, set the faders of HW inputs and SW playbacks as you need them.
Click on HW output ADAT2, set the faders of HW inputs and SW playbacks as you need them.

OK, there's one thing I don't understand: it seems like AES/EBU and ADAT2 (SPDIF) outs are linked. When it turn down the AES also turns down the SPDIF... There's no way to control them separately.

You can access these very helpful tutorial videos about using TotalMIX in the RME Knowledge Base on their website:

https://www.rme-usa.com/knowledge-base.html

Best,

-Steve

Holo1 wrote:

OK, there's one thing I don't understand: it seems like AES/EBU and ADAT2 (SPDIF) outs are linked. When it turn down the AES also turns down the SPDIF... There's no way to control them separately.

AFAIK this happens only. if you configure ADAT2 to SPDIF protocol.
Check whether the connected device supports ADAT protocol and picks the first two channels out of it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

AFAIK this happens only. if you configure ADAT2 to SPDIF protocol.

That is exactly the case. The device does not support ADAT protocol. I guess I'll have to use the Clarity M in USB mode.

8 (edited by ramses 2022-07-01 09:54:51)

I would return the clarity .. it doesn't tell you IMHO more, than DIGIcheck and DAW tools tell you already and it's free.
Additionally you could send a feature request to TC to support also ADAT protocol.

I think this gives a nice overview and you can store it in a workspace and easily recall it also from the taskbar if you link DIGIcheck icon to taskbar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfa4tokq1zilcy/2022-07-01%2010_56_22-DIGIcheck.jpg?dl=1

ramses wrote:

I think this gives a nice overview and you can store it in a workspace and easily recall it also from the taskbar if you link DIGIcheck icon to taskbar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfa4tokq1zilcy/2022-07-01%2010_56_22-DIGIcheck.jpg?dl=1

Yes, it does, but it also takes a lot of screen estate. TC Clarity is a really convenient tool for metering, I like using it. Connected it through USB cable+VST3 plugin and it works perfectly. Thank you, guys!

ok nice to hear and yes, if you have only 1 screen then it can become challenging.

I found a very neat way to use TC Clarity in USB mode to monitor not only DAW output but also system audio (Windows 10).

All you need is VB Audio VIrtual Cable, VST Host by Hermann Seib and app called SoundSwitch. Using SoundSwitch I can switch between RME's output (DAW) and Virtual Cable with keyboard shortcuts (!) and Hermann's VST Host loads automatically TC Clarity VST Plugin when Windows starts. This way I can use TC Clarity hardware with my DAW and when listening music on YT or Spotify.