Topic: Is it possible to mount the RayDat expansion board on both sides?

Hi, I'm about to change my motherboard and CPU. I have a RayDat in my current PC and I also have the expansion board installed; on the new mother board there are going to be just 3 PCI Ex slots, so I was wondering if I could save one of them installing the expansion board where there's some empty space on the motherboard, without occupying a physical PCI Ex slot. In other words, is there a specific side, regarding the main card, where the expansion board has to be placed or it can be placed on whichever side the user prefer?

Re: Is it possible to mount the RayDat expansion board on both sides?

The expansion board does not have a physical connection to the motherboard. If your case has extra slot openings outside the usual area you can even use these to mount it there, so no PCIe slot is occupied for it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply Matthias, yes I know that the RayDat Expansion does not need a physical PCI EX Slot I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something (like the position of the ribbon connector and the length of the ribbon cable) that forced it to be positioned on one specific side relative to the main board

4 (edited by ramses 2022-07-07 10:31:37)

Most computer cases are limited in the number of slot positions.
You should find a slot for the main card and expansion card, the ribbon cable appears long enough for most use cases.

If you have a block diagram of your mainboard my 1st preference for placing the main card is a PCIe slot with PCIe lanes coming directly from the CPU.

If this is not possible for whatever reason choose a slot so that ribbon cable is long enough.

Best a slot which does not share it's lanes with other devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13