1 (edited by rme_user 2022-07-09 10:28:57)

Topic: Raydat issue with bitwig and Revision importancy

Hello,

Frist, sorry for my english, i'm not a native english speaker smile

I have two Raydat cards running on a windows 10 machine (ASUS P6T x58 motherboard with x5675 cpu)

The first one (Master) is the older one rev 1.2 with latest firmware revision 16 (Device manager shows it connected to free IRQ 28)
The second one (Slave) is the new one rev 2.1 with latest firmware revision 207 (free IRQ 30)
The cards are synced with the "Sync in"option/internal cable 48kHz s/r.
Driver is the latest 4.38

Before this setup I used fireface 802 and all worked well (now i use it as one of the converters connect with 2x ADAT i/o but it is still connected with USB for using the MIDI i/o and EQ for room acoustic correction)

With Bitwig, Every time I turn off the engine and don't use it for some time, turn it on again and press play, I can see the meters moving on the individual channels and the master channel but there is no sound, also totalmix don't show any signal coming in or out. If i turn off the engine and on a couple of times the sound is coming back and all works well.
It seems that if i turn it off and back on again after a couple of seconds there is no problem (the problem happen after some time that it is off, using the browser etc...), so i was thinking maybe it is related to sleep setting/power saving?

- I checked on the device manager if there is any "power management setting" that turn it off to save power but i couldn't find this kind of setting for the Raydats, PCIe or audio interfaces. 
- On the advance power setting under "PCI express" the "link state power management" is correctly set to off (is that right?)
My machine is set to "high performance" on windows power settings.
- I checked older versions of Bitwig but the issue still exist. With the FF802 the issue is gone so it seems related to the PCIe/Raydat.

I have a couple of questions.

1. First, is it OK/Recommended to connect the new revision Raydat to the old Raydat as a slave or is it better/recommended to have the newer revision one as a master populate the second PCI instead of the third (I have a 1030 Nvidia on the first one).
2. I wanted to try to change the cards but since my totalmix settings and Bitwig settings is kinda complex i didn't want to change it and have to set it all again. Will changing the cards PCIe physically will keep all my user settings/saves? If not, Is it something simple to retrieve like changing the card order in the hammerfall dsp setting after a physical change or is it not related and best not to try? if possible i prefer to avoid doing all the routing again.
3. Do you have any other suggestion of what can I try?

Thank you for your help!

2 (edited by rme_user 2022-07-09 13:04:29)

Re: Raydat issue with bitwig and Revision importancy

Update:
I may have solved the problem,
It seems the problem related to the audio from the browser, watching videos on Youtube while Bitwig engine is off.
So i checked  the "WDM devices" at the "hammerfall DSP setting" and I notice I only left one stereo channel marked.
I added one more channel and set windows audio to go from this output (different stereo channel from Bitwig main)
After that i tried to unmarked "optimize multi client mixing" and it seems Bitwig engine now works reliably.
There are some 0.5ms "hiccups" if you open Bitwig or turn on the engine while listening to audio from the browser but without the optimization I guess that should be expected?
Anyway, I hope it will be helpful if anyone else will encounter this issue.   
I yet to understand what the problem is and I will need to do some more testing but it seems to solve it.

I will still be happy to get an answer about the above

rme_user wrote:

1. is it OK/Recommended to connect the new revision Raydat to the old Raydat as a slave or is it better/recommended to have the newer revision one as a master populate the second PCI instead of the third (I have a 1030 Nvidia on the first one).
2. I wanted to try to change the cards but since my totalmix settings and Bitwig settings is kinda complex i didn't want to change it and have to set it all again. Will changing the cards PCIe physically will keep all my user settings/saves? If not, Is it something simple to retrieve like changing the card order in the hammerfall dsp setting after a physical change or is it not related and best not to try? if possible i prefer to avoid doing all the routing again.

Thank you!

Re: Raydat issue with bitwig and Revision importancy

rme_user wrote:

1. First, is it OK/Recommended to connect the new revision Raydat to the old Raydat as a slave or is it better/recommended to have the newer revision one as a master populate the second PCI instead of the third (I have a 1030 Nvidia on the first one).

Should not make any difference regarding the RayDATs, and I wouldn't swap them.

I am not sure the second WDM device was the solution. Starting with lots of ASIO channels which are spread over several devices is always a bit challenging, and on some sysetems the effect that you see can be seen with Cubase as well. It then needs a second ASIO reset to work.

You should check the 'optimize multiclient mixing' option again just for a test, That one seems more like a possible reason that it works now for you. If not - well then you know you found the best solution already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME