Topic: New Windows PC (ableton) for ufx+

I have to buy a new windows PC, a friend, who is familiar with hardware,
but not with RME-stuff gave the the following recommendation:

mainboard ASRock H670 Steel Legend
CPU Intel Core i7-12700 (K?)
cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM: Corsair 32 GB DualDDR4 3200 MHz CL16
SSD: M.2 NVMe Samsung Solid State Drive 980 (Pro?)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 with 650 Watt be quiet! Straight Power E11
I´ll keep my GT 1030 passive graphic card, Samsung 860 SSD (soundlibraries) and WD 4GB red (data graveyard)

I use ableton 11 (current version), and use mainly vsts. Does anyone heard of problems with this mainboard/series?
Should i go for a mainboard with Thunderbolt or upgrade the mainboard with a Thunderbolt 4 AIC (Intel JHL8540)?
Will i have better latencies with TB?
Shoult i try Win11 now or stick with Win10?  In this forum experiences go from "everything works fine" to "complete disaster"...
Thank you!
C.

Re: New Windows PC (ableton) for ufx+

Take a look at SCAN computers and see what motherboards and components they are using in their audio workstations. They test the components work together well. The video card should be ok. I used one of those but I now use the onboard video on my m/b which is a couple of years older (ASUS Rog strix 390e gaming)

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-07-14 07:08:41)

Re: New Windows PC (ableton) for ufx+

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-stu … m2-ssd-see

See performance information on the bottom of page.
Wondering how they test, which recording interfaces they use and what they test exactly with the DAW.
You see there the claims with 64 samples ASIO buffer size up to 97 track instances .. well instances of what ?!

With my 8y old computer from Oct 2014 I have no audio drops with Cubase under these challenging conditions:
- UFX+ @44.1 - 96 kHz
- with lowest ASIO buffer sizes 32 (not 64) @single speed and 64 samples at double speed (88.2/96 kHz)
- with 2 Steinberg VSTs per track and a few in the stereo sum, in Total 80x VSTs.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/

Sad that there is no real compareable data available to see what new hardware and different CPU designs bring for an audio workload which at the end can also be very different and sometimes even challenge the single thread performance of CPUs, e.g. if you put too many and too CPU hungry VST as insert into one or more tracks or a CPU hungry VSTi.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13