1 (edited by sino21 2022-06-01 11:57:22)

Topic: Is Madiface USB - USB Class compliant?

As the title says: Is Madiface USB - USB Class compliant? I mean for Audio signal.

I downloaded the manual and it says that USB MIDI is class compliant but I am interested in audio.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit. I intend to use (if that's possible) Madiface USB to connect it to my AKAI hardware. As you may know AKAI hardware in their latest firmware updates allowed users to connect their USB interfaces to AKAI.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9d2fGItH3A

Assuming that the USB card is "Class Compliant" - it will reveal first 32 inputs and outputs to the AKAI hardware such as AKAI Force or AKAI MPC.

From there one can utilize the USB interface and it's IO to connect gear and record straight into AKAI. Or another way, send AKAI signals to the USB interface and from there onto whatever is routed (hw mixer etc.).

I would like to connect Madiface USB to my AKAI, and from Madiface USB first 32 channels I intend to stream MADI signals into my MADI converter for further routing.

The only question is: is Madiface USB class compliant and if so, how do I turn that mode on?

I keep hearing that Madiface Pro USB (which is a bit different then Madiface USB)  is "USB class compliant" but for some reason that device cannot be found in RME website main menu, nor can be purchased at Thomann. I can see it on RME website with direct link from google but product is removed from website main menu. That's indicating to me that something has changed.

I guess since they are changing converter chip to ESS they are updating that line of product so it's not available for the time being?

Re: Is Madiface USB - USB Class compliant?

Sorry, no CC mode for the MF USB... And the MF Pro is out of production...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Sorry, no CC mode for the MF USB... And the MF Pro is out of production...

Thank you! Much appreciated. Do you have a list of RME USB CC mode devices? The reason why I am asking is that I would love to stay with RME. So if there's some RME USB CC device in production I would love to purchase it.

Regards

Do you need MADI specifically?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Do you need MADI specifically?

Yes that's the goal. But if there's no such MADI device from RME then anything else will to the trick and I will simply drop MADI in favor of using RME.

Even if it would not have 32 channels. We do this mostly for iPad, and there the channel limit is 24 channels, poured into our hardware. For example with the UFX+, OctaMic XTC and MADIface Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you guys.

out of curiosity: may I ask: is it technically such a big effort to implement CC, that it makes economically no sense (because of a very small amount of customers that ask for it)?

Currently I connect 12Mic via Madiface Pro to a portable Linux computer. The MFP works fine, but it requires some fuzzy cabeling (y-cable) for proper power supply and it’s quite bulky in comparison to the Madiface USB.

A CC MF USB would be a game changer for me. It‘s light, small, USB-powered. I would be very happy. smile

You'd need to connect the unit to a PC to enable CC, as is the way it works with the FF802. There's simply no button to hold, press, turn, twist, or otherwise manipulate to enable that...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You mean the „activate CC mode on disconnect“? That would be ok for me if it would work the same way with the Madiface USB.

I would like to push that topic up again as I am seriously interested to see a class compliant Madiface USB.

As there’s no button it might be worth to think, if a Midi command could let the device reboot in cc mode (and back)…

12 (edited by ramses 2022-07-18 22:09:29)

RME Support wrote:

You'd need to connect the unit to a PC to enable CC, as is the way it works with the FF802. There's simply no button to hold, press, turn, twist, or otherwise manipulate to enable that...

What about plugging a loop on a specific ADAT ports when powering-on Digiface USB?
Connecting ADAT1 OUT/IN = PC mode, ADAT2 OUT/IN CC mode?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13