1 (edited by SonicExplorer 2022-07-19 10:34:36)

Topic: Advice on routing back into DAW...

Hey Guys,

I am having some issues trying to get my exported mixes to sound exactly like playback within the DAW. So I was hoping to run a test by routing out of the Fireface back into a stereo track inside the DAW.  To 'real time' record the playback and see what that approach renders.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure of the best method to do this... 

Is it safe to connect the SPDIF In/Out jacks together via cable?  Or should I instead try to use TotalMix to achieve a similar result?  BTW, I currently have the Fireface set to auto-detect an external clock - so I'm not sure what will happen if I were to connect the SPDIF In/Out jacks together....I certainly don't want to blow anything up.

Any suggestions appreciated....

Thanks,

Sonic

2 (edited by ramses 2022-07-19 21:41:07)

Re: Advice on routing back into DAW...

Hi Sonic,

as long as the selected clock (in your case most likely internal) is there, AutoSync will not select another clock source automatically. This is my understanding from reading the manual. You also got a manual, check there pls, it's documented.

Which DAW? Most likely related to your DAWs export settings. This is IMHO more a question for the forum of your DAW.
Or you have an option enabled in your monitor submix so that it sounds different.

You didn't tell, what fireface you use, whether it has FX built-in and you didn't show a picture of your monitor mix where one could try to check whether a certain setting is visible.

Best add info regarding your RME HW / setup to your signature, so that this info is automatically provided.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by SonicExplorer 2022-07-19 20:20:19)

I'm using a FF400.  And I've already exhausted every option making sure nothing during the export process is altering anything.  I was wondering about the clock because the FF auto-detects this, however, by connecting the two SDPIF connectors together, it would then be detecting it's own clock (so to speak) and I wasn't sure if that might cause some kind of logic implosion internally. Or if it's even safe to make such a connection at all, or if I should instead be trying to use TotalMix instead?

All I'm asking is this: What are the options on routing out and back into the FF without having to go through DA/AD process again so I can record the playback real-time onto a stereo track within the DAW?  I can then compare that track (played back outside the DAW) to the exported version and see if I'm imagining things or not...

Sonic

4 (edited by ramses 2022-07-19 21:48:12)

1. Use clock source internal, as this is your main interface, autosync is then completely out of scope
2. If you would use analog ports you would always have DA/AD conversion. The routing matrix inside of the unit works fully digital. So whatever audio signal you send out to an analog output needs a D/A conversion and if you record this with an analog input then you have an A/D conversion taking place.
3. Therefore ... use digital ports then you have no AD/DA conversion, like e.g. the ADAT port. And again, clocking is not the issue here. Your device is clock master if you set clock source to internal. And even if you would have an external clock signal as clock slave, as long as the clock signal arrives on this on that digital port, then there is no need for autosync to choose an alternative for a clock signal if there would be an alternative.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks ramses.  But what about SPDIF In/Out?  That's the port I can make use of with a digital RCA cable (I have no optical cables).  So is it safe to use a cable to connect the SPDIF output to the SPDIF input?...

Only another type of digital port which allows to plug a loop as well.