Topic: Additional Babyface Pro I/O

I'm looking for 2-4 more I/O ports on my Babyface Pro and wondering what's the best way to go about it.  I've read a couple other posts that are very confusing to me, so no help.  I understand that using the optical port is the best way to do it, but can I just connect any mixer with an optical out?

Re: Additional Babyface Pro I/O

That depends on that optical out... If it's SPDIF, you get 2 channels, if it's ADAT, you get 8.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Goon,

To add what support said above, the choice is yours with that digital/optical I/O. If you wanted to hook up your CD/DVD player you would choose the SPDIF mode and input music that way. Or, if you had another AD/DA with optical ins and outs, you would select ADAT and then have up to 8 channels of digital I/O, depending on the resolution you want to work with. Higher sampling rates than 48K would use SMUX and then you'd only get 4 ins/outs.

I haven't looked at any mixers with optical I/O capability but I believe what most folks do is get an 8 channel A/D/A converter like the Ferrofish of BehringerAD8000(?) and connect via ADAT. I have an Apogee AD8000 hooked up this way to the BBF Pro Fs and it works very well.

Good luck

-Steve

Thanks for the feedback!  Do you think the Behringer ADA8200 would be the best affordable choice?

I've never used the Behringer. I've looked a little at the Ferrofish stuff. I think their entry model is right around a thousand bucks...which is pretty good for 8 channels of good AD/DA. A bit more expensive than the ADA8200 though.

-Steve

Yes a fine choice especially for the price. Most important is that it does what you need! Audio quality goes from verygood on a budget to excelling for high end. No really low quality anymore except maybe a supermarket kareoky device. Even the 10€ supermarket headphones are usable, lol.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I have the ada8200 and it’s remarkably good for the price. Not as open sounding as my Babyface pro fs and not as many features as others but you do actually get true outputs as well. I use those to feed headphone Amos for more outputs.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.