Topic: Sound Failures UFX ii

Hello,

On a regular basis my sound card has sound misfires on Cubase but also when I listen to music (Buffer size at 2048 however) and after a while sending sound intermittently (on, off, on, off, on , off, ...).

I updated the drivers, tried to change the USB port, it continues.

For it to stop I have to unplug and reconnect the USB cable, ...

Can you help me ?

Thanks

Re: Sound Failures UFX ii

More info needed. Win or Mac Mobo etc

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hello, this is a PC. It's windows 10. On an ACER laptop. I5 7200; 2.5 GHz - RAM: 20 GB.

I tried on a USB 2 port and a USB 3 port.

Thanks for your help

4 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-07-28 14:43:39)

sorry to hear you're having trouble.

have you gone in and done the windows optimizations? setting performance to high, disabling screensavers/sleep, etc.? you can search in this forum and find several optimization threads.

have you tried another DAW program like Reaper? and just to confirm, there's no hub in the mix? just straight USB cable connection from the UFXII to the laptop?

-Steve

Hello and thank you for your suggestions.

Yes I optimized the system (no standby, disabling screensaver/sleep, privileged processor, ...). I also just changed the cable but it still stops from time to time. Yes the UFX ii is plugged directly into the laptop USB port and even when it's the only hardware connected there is the problem. When it malfunctions, the USB diagnosis changes to |30| instead of |0| then come back to 0 after a while, ... I have actually browsed forums but I don't really see the solution.

Have you tried all available USB ports here? And also another cable?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

What about disabling USB C states in BIOS? sorry, I'm just throwing some of the easy stuff that helped me with my UCXII. does the problem happen with Spotify, Youtube or any other software?

I believe the OP already tried all USB ports, Daniel. But today's laptops...how many could that possibly be? 2 or 3?

8 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:29:01)

USB C-States in BIOS? No, this has nothing to do with USB in particular. It's all about energy saving on a PC. The deeper the CPU goes to sleep, the longer the wake-up requires. This leads to higher DPCs / internal latencies and most likely can cause audio drops as the reaction of the CPU to an audio workload will be delayed / too late.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I thought dropouts was one of the things the OP was experiencing so that's why I suggested the C-states. maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks for reply. Yes I tried my three USB ports ans changes my câble. Dropouts continue.

Problem happen with cubase, Deezer,...

Thanks

11 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:28:04)

sbcrikey wrote:

I thought dropouts were one of the things the OP was experiencing, so that's why I suggested the C-states. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

You misunderstood my comment. You wrote “USB C-States” … something like this doesn't exist.

Disabling C-States makes sense, but this BIOS setting is usually hidden / not possible on laptops, as a laptop needs energy saving to prevent thermal issues. Check also for thermal issues, if CPU clock is being throttled, then the clock changes can also cause latency / audio drops.
I wonder why you say that the CRC errors go back to zero. Please note, you should keep the driver settings window open, otherwise the CRC checks of RME ASIO driver stops, then it's no wonder why the counters are being reset.

If you get USB transport errors, then it can have different root causes: cable issues, port issues, too long cables, energy saving in BIOS / windows, thermal issues, unstable CPU clock.

You also might need to check for bad drivers (too high DPC latencies).

A collection of threads about performance troubleshooting here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You misunderstood my comment. You wrote "USB C-States" ... something like this doesn't exist.

gotcha. thanks for explaining that to me Ramses!

-Steve