Topic: [Solved] Total Mix stopped working

Hello,
I have used my Babyface Pro without any problems for several years. Even after I bought my new iMac 25" (M1) things have been running just fine - until recently. My problems might have started after the 12.5 OS update, but I'm not sure, since I haven't used the Babyface for a while.

Whats wrong:
The OS recognizes the babyface, and so does Logic Pro X. I can use the interface in Logic without any problems. Except I suddenly get no sound from my headphone outputs, which I thought to set up in Total Mix. And here is my problem. Total mix opens, but no mixer window comes up (The menus on the top of the screen is there -  but that's it). It seems maybe Total Mix can't recognize the Babyface, even though the rest of the system does.

I tried installing the drivers again, and checked I had the right ones (327). I also opened "Startup security utility" on my Mac, and selected "allow user management of kernel...". Still the same result.

I want to add that I'm also having trouble with the "Fireface USB Settings" app. It won't open at all. Also, the RME flash update tool will not open.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, and how to fix it?

Re: [Solved] Total Mix stopped working

The Babyface is in Class Compliant mode...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Babyface is in Class Compliant mode...

Thank you, that was it!

I cant believe how simple that was. :-)

Copied from RME’s own class compliant mode manual:  «You might end up with hours of wasted time trying to repair your driver installation – when all you need to do is set the unit back to normal mode.»

Lesson learned.

This worked for me as well (Windows 11)! Thank you very much!

In Windows 11, it still wasn't opening. Right clicked on the taskbar, clicked Task Manager, clicked on startup apps, scrolled down to TotalMix FX, right clicked on it and enabled startup functionality, right clicked again and clicked on "Open File Location" (which for me was C:\Windows\System32 ), created a shortcut to TotalMixFX.exe on my desktop, and opened it there. It finally works! Thanks!

There is some information missing. The driver installation DOES install Autostart. You might have simply not rebooted one more time for this to happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all. I recently opened and plugged in my newly bought babyface pro fs. The bug description is pretty similar to the original post: my mac (10.14) and the DAW recognizes the babyface and i downloaded the driver. But if i open Total mix it opens, but no mixer window comes up (the menus on the top of the screen is there -  but that's it). In the upper menu bar i can choose to open a new window but only a small window would open (function&device select window) where i can create a new mixer or matrix window. But nothing happens if i click on anything. And there is no device to choose from.

The babyface is NOT in CC mode, i checked it several times. Can someone plss help;

Your Mac OS security has blocked the RME driver. See here:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

Most likely, you will need to run the RME driver installer again, in order to see that Allow button in Security.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Your Mac OS security has blocked the RME driver. See here:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

Most likely, you will need to run the RME driver installer again, in order to see that Allow button in Security.

That was quick reply, thanks for that! But: unfortunately it doesnt work. The allow button appears and i click on, it disappears. But Total mix still does not open in the right way. It stays the same like described. I also tried reinstalling and new start but still no changes... some other options?

10 (edited by waedi 2024-03-23 12:10:32)

What did that allow button look like ?
Was it a small popup window with a button OK and a second button System (or Settings or Preferences) ?
You have to click the System button, not the OK button !
Then in the system allow the software installation in the Security&Privacy, there is the "allow" button.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue