Topic: Cubase Periodic Peaks AND Cannot Change Buffer Size

I'm having performance issues in Cubase and trying to track down the culprit. Sessions tend to run well after initial boot but then I see periodic Peaks on my performance meter. What led me here is that I've noticed I cannot lower the buffer size after this starts to happen - changing it from 256 to 512 has no impact until I close and re-start Cubase, and this never used to behave this way.

It SEEMS like when Cubase is performing well, I can change the buffer size normally.

Any idea what could be causing this odd behavior?

Re: Cubase Periodic Peaks AND Cannot Change Buffer Size

Some details about the setup would help... Mac or PC?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

You mean a PC running Microsoft Windows. wink Perhaps even an iPad.

Yeah, I do get your point of people leaving insufficient info to their question as to make it impossible to answer.

RME Support wrote:

Yes sorry. Windows 11, RME Fireface 802 connected via USB. AMD 5950x, 128GB RAM, AMD 6600xt GPU.

The strange behavior about being unable to change the buffer size started after I upgraded my CPU and did a fresh install of Windows 11, so it's essentially a new computer.

Any help? What kind of bug would prevent Cubase from accepting a new buffer size in some scenarios?

What exactly does that mean? What exactly happens when you try? Are you opening the settings dialog from withing Cubase or from the task bar?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I tried it in Cubase 11 and it changed but Cubase reported the old latency. I have no problem changing buffer sizes although I tend to do it before opening Cubase,

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Was Cubase installed fresh after the Windows reinstallation? If not, you might try trashing Cubase preferences, and let them be rebuilt on the next startup.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u … and-Nuendo

I've been seeing some weird issues lately related to Sonarworks Reference & Systemwide, do you use these apps?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

RME Support wrote:

What exactly does that mean? What exactly happens when you try? Are you opening the settings dialog from withing Cubase or from the task bar?

Thanks for following up.  I open the settings dialogue from within Cubase (Studio Setup->Audio System->Control Panel), change the buffer size from 512 to 256, but Cubase reports the same latency as under 512 (and I believe it's still operating at that latency as well).

This behavior is intermittent.

And normal as long as WDM is in use at the same time. The latency selected will not become active unless WDM is stopped.

In case you don't have WDM running you could try to force the new setting by resetting the ASIO device within Cubase. In Cubase 12 it is Studio - Studio Setup -  Audio System - ASIO Driver - Reset button.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME