1 (edited by Manuel 2022-08-11 12:15:32)

Topic: Bug? Fader relationships preserved after temp fader group dissolved

TotalMix FX v1.76 on Windows 11

Summary: Fader relationships are remembered after the temporary fader group is dissolved.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Choose two faders (we shall refer to them as fader 1 and fader 2) and set them to different values, for example, -20 dB and -ꝏ dB, respectively.
2. Hold down the Shift key and left-click on fader 1, then fader 2, to add them to the temporary fader group. The fader caps turn yellow. Release the Shift key.
3. Pull fader 1 from -20 dB to -ꝏ dB. After completing this step both fader 1 and 2 are set to -ꝏ dB.
4. Hold down the Shift key again and click faders 1 and 2 to remove them from the temporary fader group. The fader caps turn silver.
5. Hold down the Shift key yet again and click faders 1 and 2 to add them one more time to the temporary fader group.
6. Use the mouse to push up fader 2.

Expected: Since the temporary group was dissolved at step 4, and both faders were set to -ꝏ dB, it is expected that after step 4 both faders will be set to the same value after fader 2 moves.

Observed: Even though the temporary group was dissolved at step 4, Totalmix preserves the relationship between faders 1 and 2. Also, when fader 2 is pushed up at step 6, ⚠️fader 1 jumps all the way to +6 dB⚠️ instead of -20 dB. Jumping to -20 dB would seem "more correct", but still incorrect because the two faders were grouped when they were both set to -ꝏ, therefore fader 1 should follow fader 2 in a 1:1. Then, in the GIF, when fader 2 is pulled back down to -ꝏ dB, fader 1 finally jumps down to -20 dB (or whatever value was typed in at step 3). Thereafter when fader 2 is pushed up again, the original relationship between faders 1 and 2 is restored, as if we were at step 2 and none of the steps afterwards had even happened. Again, this is incorrect. If the faders were both at -ꝏ when they were ganged, their values should be the same, and the original relationship should be forgotten.

https://i.vgy.me/Yhj2bj.gif

Edit 1: Similar behaviour can be observed when using +6 dB instead of -ꝏ.
Edit 2: Steps 4 and 5 are not necessary (can be skipped) to reproduce the jump to +6 dB. What I was trying to emphasize here is that the relative fader positions should not be remembered if the group has been dissolved. The jump to +6 dB is something I noticed by chance while writing this bug report.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

Re: Bug? Fader relationships preserved after temp fader group dissolved

Hi Manuel,
Thanks for posting.
A jump to +6 dB is dangerous.

Re: Bug? Fader relationships preserved after temp fader group dissolved

soundflix wrote:

Hi Manuel,
Thanks for posting.
A jump to +6 dB is dangerous.

My ears agree.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400