1 (edited by Manuel 2022-08-11 16:29:58)

Topic: Brand-new UCX II burnt electronics smell

I received a brand-new UCX II a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it, but right out of the box, even before powering it up, it gave off a very obvious pungent chemical smell of burnt electronics. It doesn't smell to healthy. Daniel of RME support has just told me it's not a known issue, which has me slightly worried, so I thought I'd ask the community.

I've had several other pieces of RME gear before and this is the first time I notice this smell. I've used it for a few days and it still smells. Any input welcome, thanks.

2 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-08-11 16:44:00)

Re: Brand-new UCX II burnt electronics smell

can't say that my UCX smelled that way. just like newly manufactured electronics.

does everything seem to be working? all inputs and outputs have been tried and function normally? have you used the mic pres?

I had an amplifier module burn up in a different manufacturer's preamp once. after I removed the failed device, most of the smell went with it but every now and then when I use that box and it warms up, there's just the faintest hint of that smell. it's quite unforgettable. I wonder if maybe your unit had some failure at the factory that was repaired and you're just experiencing the same thing?

the UCXII is known to get warm during normal operation.

-Steve

**I would use the heck out of that thing for the next month...like, non-stop, just to completely be sure it's all good