1 (edited by Philip Rampi 2022-08-15 23:45:28)

Topic: 2020 Mac Air i7 / Monterey 12.5 - Setup for Fireface 800?

I know there's a ton of information in this forum regarding TB to FW, yet it's not clear to me what adapters (powered by a dock or not) will work on this system. Also thinking of installing Bootcamp for adding Windows 10 to the mix and understand that Windows has the bug of running one of the cores at a constant 20% by simply having FW installed. That sucks, yet I'd like to have all of my PC only plugs working on this system, so I'm still interested in trying this out as a dual OS DAW.

It seems that the FF 800 should work on this system, and I hope that someone can provide feedback / links to show what adapters are functional in this configuration. I'll need some form of dock (preferably external powered) to get dual monitor support, Ethernet, mouse, KB, MIDI and external SSDs / HDs happening, which I think would be able to be handled via one of the Mac Air's TB ports, then I could have a dedicated TB to FW setup on the other TB port. Or is there a better way to handle this mix of devices?

Have been looking into the CalDigit TS3 Plus dock and would like feedback on this unit, and or any others that have worked well for others.

Thanks!

P

2 (edited by breun 2022-08-20 22:06:54)

Re: 2020 Mac Air i7 / Monterey 12.5 - Setup for Fireface 800?

Anyway, Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. This adapter lets you you use a Firewire 800 device on a Thunderbolt 2 port.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 3 ports using USB-C connectors, you'll also need to get a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Thank you for the links. Bummer on the extra (expensive) TB3 to TB2 adaptor. I will also need a  FW 800 to 400 cable , or similar.

Sure hope the adaptors are returnable!

Anyone know if Monterey 12.5.1 is good to go for use with the Fireface 800 / drivers?

This would seem a better solution for the FW 800 to 400 cable conversion, which allows me to use my existing longer FW cable.