1 (edited by Hits4Accordion 2020-12-09 14:55:19)

Topic: Midi Feedback Format

Hey there,

The Totalmixer can be controlled by CC's - all is well documented in the manual and it works.

What I didn't know, the feedback is another format!
My goal is to get a propper feedback for my DJ Tech Midi Twister Fighter.
When I change the Presets of the Totalmixer, the LEDs should show the new current state of faders and move it from there current positions.

I can measure some feedbacks of the 3. row of faders, but it is not consistent.
For example:

F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 2D 6F 6F 20 20 20 20 F7
F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 2D 32 38 2E 30 20 20 F7
F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 2D 35 34 2E 38 20 20 F7
F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 2D 37 2E 33 20 20 20 F7
F0 00 00 66 14 12 3F 36 2E 30 20 20 20 20 F7

One way or another that applies for the 3rd row. Only faders 1-8 are sending something, the next faders are sending only over a small control range, then the data simply stops. Row 1 and 2 seems to send back nothing at all.

To get this to work, I have to understand at first, where what is sended back and how it can be translated with some other tools like Bome Midi Translator.

The german Support does not react anymore. DJ Tech Tools do not know enough. You are my last hope!

Thank you very much for help! It has kept me in check for days!

Re: Midi Feedback Format

Feedback is Mackie Control protocol. Either sign an NDA with them or find a web resource having that info...you won't get it from us, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wow - I understand.
I never thought it would be so complicated. Thanks.

4 (edited by ebulb 2020-12-11 05:10:12)

MC.. can you see this is another person unhappy about the difficulty trying to control Totalmix ? the lack of user friendly midi and global OSC makes it very hard to work with at times.. it would be really beneficial if you could implement a standard midi CC mapping for all Totalmix functions and also global OSC control.. you did mention global OSC many moons ago, it would be good if you could consider it again ?

I am totally frustrated. Behringer BCR 2000 does not work with feedback, so I thought maybe it is too old, maybe the modern DJ Techtools Twister Fighter would do the job. Even with the greatest
Wrong. Even the greatest effort is useless.

Which controller would you recommend?

Just to double-check, does TotalMix transmit CC feedback or not? I'm testing with Bome SendSX and loopMIDI and I can control the faders, but TotalMix doesn't appear to return any MIDI. For example, the first fader of the first row (top left) can be set to -ꝏ by sending B0 66 00 to TotalMix.

I finally got my UCX II and I've been testing. I can control everything I need to control via MIDI CC, but TotalMix doesn't appear to transmit MIDI feedback unless I use the MCU protocol which isn't what I want.

You got it with Mackie Protocol?

Why?

Please have a look:

Bome ca see incoming and outcoming midi
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1221qtcpn2s1m … 1.mp4?dl=0

direct connection without bome
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dknaebzyrk59l … 2.mp4?dl=0

working fine with cubase
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmxt19r65md3s … e.mp4?dl=0

Ah, i have got you wrong.

1. It could be that your (software) Midi Detector  is blocked by another program.
It is very important to keep a certain order when opening the programs.

2. After i noticed, i CAN get feedback from Totalmix, I recognized Sysex Data.
That means, you send Midi CCs or Notes from your Hardware Device to the Totalmix (Manual is explaining which is which)
but you get a complete another kind of Data back.

It is honestly too complicated for me to write a translation in usual CCs just for the reaction of te hardware faders/knobs/LEDs

Anybody who does it already?

Which Hardware Controller can manage both - there and back?