Topic: UCX II headphone output when using DAW mode?

Is it rendered inoperable?

I have switched to DAW mode because I want to use my Faderport V2 with Studio One. It’s seamless integration and I didn’t think I needed all the routing options with Totalmix FX. But if I want to use the headphone jack of the UCX II (for instance, to record on my Zoom recorder) while monitoring over the external monitors….am I correct that this isn’t possible? Or am I missing something?

If I’m correct….is it a big deal to routinely switch between Totalmix FX full mode and DAW mode when necessary? How can I minimize setup headache when doing this?

Re: UCX II headphone output when using DAW mode?

The phones output is just another output. So whatever software you are using should have that output selected. When I first used TotalMix I thought about using DAW mode but soon realised TotalMix in full mode is very versatile and welll worth the effort.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Ok so it’s not possible to output to the headphone jack amd still monitor on external speakers, is that correct?

DAW mode is the same as in TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Straight playback

From the manual: Straight Playback: All Playback channels are routed 1:1 to the Hardware outputs. The faders in the third row are not changed.

This allows you in submix mode the flexibility to modify the routing of each of the HW outputs individually.
For example, to route directly from a HW input to a HW output without the RTL (round trip latency over USB) in near-realtime.
In pure DAW mode everything has the full RTL over FW/USB/TB ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Please, just yes or no….is there a way to output audio to both the external monitors (main outs) and the Headphones in DAW mode?

Yes if your software allows you to output to two places at once.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

7 (edited by Hudspace 2022-08-19 23:05:35)

mkok wrote:

Yes if your software allows you to output to two places at once.

Ok thank you

ramses wrote:

DAW mode is the same as in TM FX: Options -> Reset Mix -> Straight playback

From the manual: Straight Playback: All Playback channels are routed 1:1 to the Hardware outputs. The faders in the third row are not changed.

This allows you in submix mode the flexibility to modify the routing of each of the HW outputs individually.
For example, to route directly from a HW input to a HW output without the RTL (round trip latency over USB) in near-realtime.
In pure DAW mode everything has the full RTL over FW/USB/TB ...

Thank you for this…I’ve read it several times and I believe I understand the point you’re trying to make. However as I said, using pure DAW mode simplifies things for me a bit because it allows the use of my Faderport. None of this really has much to do with the intent of my original question though…which was whether or not I can still use the headphone jack on my ucx ii when in DAW mode. So far I have not been able to.

9 (edited by ramses 2022-08-20 07:01:32)

The headphone output is an analog output like any other ports and should be visible in your DAW.

> However as I said, using pure DAW mode simplifies things for me a bit
> because it allows the use of my Faderport

Faderport integrates into the DAW, right? What does this have to do with TM FX?

Regarding missing phones port. No matter what operational mode you use in TM FX (DAW mode or TM FX full mode), the DAW will always see all I/O ports of the device (incl. phones). Maybe you need to select in your DAW, which ports you want to use for your DAW project, like in Cubase. Most likely this is the reason, why you do not find it.

In the DAW, route audio to outputs as you like.
They will show up in TM FX middle row, SW playback channels.

And if you set the TM FX routing as I told you, then audio in TM FX full mode will be routed like in TM FX DAW mode:
— SW Output AN 1/2 OUT ->  HW Output AN 1/2 OUT
— SW Output AN 3/4 OUT ->  HW Output AN 3/4 OUT
  […]
— SW Output ADAT 7/8 OUT ->  HW Output ADAT 7/8 OUT
— SW Output AES 1/2 OUT ->  HW Output AES 1/2 OUT

Now, guess a vocalist wants to have monitoring to phones without too much delay.
In TM FX full mode, you can in submix mode easily add the incoming Mic Signal to the phone's output so that the voice of the vocalist is not delayed by the round trip latency over USB.
Then he has only very little (unrecognizable) delay by AD/DA conversion <1ms.
You can do this easily by
- clicking to the phone's output and raising the fader of mic input up to a volume that fits
- store this to another TM FX submix “vocal recording”, then you can use this routing whenever you need to record vocals.

This only as an idea how to use TM FX in Full mode / in the best possible way.
It acts from a routing perspective exactly like DAW mode, but you keep the flexibility to make monitor mixes for special use cases, where DAW mode would not be ideal (e.g., too high latency).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by ramses 2022-08-20 11:56:36)

Look here:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2919-tm-fx-and-daw-routing-jpg/

And external HW (only highlighted in the drawing without detailing the signal flow), you can best integrate through the DAW as external FX device. Cubase has such a possibility, maybe your DAW as well.

You only need to define such a device, input/output ports.
Cubase “pings” through the device to gather delay.
Then you have full latency compensation for it, regardless of the ASIO buffer size, that you use.
You can use it then like a VST as insert or send effect.

Side note: the more channels your recording interface has, the more possibilities you have to create subgroups in your DAW project and to route them to different outputs.
Audio appears then in the middle row SW playbacks, and then it acts like a patch bay to create the perfect individual submix for each of the real HW outputs in the bottom row.

Then even every musician can change his submix with TotalMix Remote over network by using a Windows PC, tablet, convertible, tablet. A drummer wants perhaps to hear more from the bass player or rhythm group, etc.

Creating individual submixes for each of the HW output is far more flexible comparing to routing in the DAW, and you can save/recall your settings easily in TM FX. Furthermore, you can create latency free routings from Mic inputs to phones, directly on the recording interface without having the full RTL (round trip latency) over USB/etc. in the signal path.

This is how I use my outputs:
SW Playback AN 1/2 – Windows OS and applications not supporting ASIO, default sound device in Windows sound settings
SW Playback AN 3/4 – MusicBee Player (has ASIO support), I want this audio separated
SW Playback AN 5/6 – Games (if they support configuration of audio channel)
SW Playback AN 7/8 – currently not yet implemented but in the future I plan to use this for DAW output (stereo sum)
SW Playback ADAT 1..16, MADI 1..64 – different phones outputs or for future demand (subgroups in the DAW to create even more customized monitoring mixes for musicians)

By splitting audio like this and using SW playbacks as "patchbay" I have most flexibility to create submixes as I like.
Even when gaming.
In the output channel for my headphones I can create an individual submix of 3 audio sources
- SW Playback AN 1/2 - e.g. to get information about a game (let's play videos)
- SW Playback AN 3/4 - to add background music from my musicplayer
- SW Playback AN 5/6 - audio from the game
Then I can play relaxed the game, having nice background music and listen to some infos / instructions from Youtube video in the background.

This is the flexibility that I like, and the operation is very logical structured. Once you understand these basic principles, you can do everything …

Ramses, ok I will study this and try it out. Again, thank you.