Topic: FireFaces Rack mounting advices

Hello Folks,
I would like to know how to mount multiple firefaces in a rack, i have one 802 and three 800 ( i know, one is linked via adat lightpipe, only 3 units can be plugged by firewire)
Can i mount them one upper each other directly? I mean, will they fonction without time trouble because of hot temperature
or should i leave interspace between each units?

Thanks

Re: FireFaces Rack mounting advices

Depends if you have a rack with cooling or not and how deep the rack is. I use a 4 RU rack for 3 units, then I have approx 1,4-1,5cm space between devices and to the top. To the bottom there is lesser space.

I am using Thomann Eco II racks with 23cm depth, thats good for the recording interfaces.
https://www.thomann.de/de/thon_rack_4he … ompact.htm

I use a little deeper racks for external FX like Lexicons.
https://www.thomann.de/de/thon_rack_3he_economy_ii.htm

Four devices in a 5RU rack would leave IMHO too few space between devices.

I would use either 2x 3RU for 2+2 devices
or
1x 4RU and 1x2RU for 3+1 devices (then you can split Firewire 400/800 / USB devices)
or
if you want 1RU reserve: 1x 4RU and 1x3RU for 3+2 devices

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for this advice, but i forgot to say that they are racked in a rack in a studio space environement, i can't put noisy cooler
but i'll try to leave a 1/3U space between 2 untis

mikeemax wrote:

Thanks for this advice, but i forgot to say that they are racked in a rack in a studio space environement, i can't put noisy cooler

I can't use noisy coolers as well, to leave some space definitively helps.
You only need to ensure not to close the rack so that you have a little airflow between devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by mikeemax 2022-08-22 07:19:57)

ramses wrote:
mikeemax wrote:

I can't use noisy coolers as well, to leave some space definitively helps.
You only need to ensure not to close the rack so that you have a little airflow between devices.

Ok thanks
I did it