1 (edited by Lerian 2022-08-23 12:34:01)

Topic: BFP - confused about level match - dBu / vRMS / dbfs TMFX meters

Hello guys, may I ask for a bit of help, I'm trying to match my monitors input level to BFP output level.

My monitors are Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 with maximum input level of 1,5 Vrms ( at 0 dB)
https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-a … ifications

BFP have the output:

Output level @ 0 dBFS: Balanced +19 dBu, unbalanced +13 dBu
DC @ 0 dBFS: 6.35mm 4.8 V, 3.5mm 2.4 V, XLR bal. 9.6 V

Now, if I push the output volume to 0db, it obviously distorts, being too hot. So I'm trying to find the optimal volume but as I understand the volume in TMFX console is in dbfs so I don't really know how to convert. I used this calculator to convert 1.5 vrms to dbu = 5,74 dbu if im doing it right. Now, what is the equivalent for 5,74 dbu in the TMFX console dbfs scale?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob question.

Re: BFP - confused about level match - dBu / vRMS / dbfs TMFX meters

Your unit has the switch on the bottom? Slide it to +4 and that's it. Otherwise you might need passive attenuators, as described here in multiple threads.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Your unit has the switch on the bottom? Slide it to +4 and that's it. Otherwise you might need passive attenuators, as described here in multiple threads.

Hi MC, and thank you for your reply. Its BF Pro, not FS, therefore I don't have the switch. I was hoping to find some kind of sweet spot in the software mixer, without having to get attenuators. Is that a "good enough" approach? I don't know, maybe -12dbfs? -14? -16? Is there a way to calculate what value in the TMFX would have a maximum of 1.5 VRMS (5.74 dbu) or 1.228 VRMS (+4 dbu) at the output?

Thank you.

Is it not way to loud too, when driving it to distortion. Is keeping it at a sensible level not enough? I can not drive my monitors into distortion without going deaf lol. So even if I knew the exact max level, I could not use it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632